Page 22 of 184 FirstFirst ... 1220212223243272122 ... LastLast

Thread: Laptop COMPATIBILITY List.

Beans

Re: Laptop COMPATABILITY List.

1)Ubuntu 10.10
    2)Panasonic Toughbook
    3)CF-Y7B

Flawless install. Almost everything works:
    All but one function key works, battery level check (Fn+F9) crashes the system. Also, no way to toggle Economy Mode. Mine is stuck "On" and as such, battery charging stops at 80%.

-Installed gSynaptics to enable circular scrolling

No other problems encountered. Lovin it so far.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Acer Aspire 5670. Maverick Meerkat 10.10

All works fine, except for Orbicam (it jams the power manager had to blacklist it). But that is true to 10.04. Otherwise everything works.
    ...if only there was an UNDO in real life...

Beans

1) 10.10 Maverick
    2) HP
    3) Mini 311 (ION not LE)

Dual booting Win7 and Ubuntu.

First attempt with windows installer almost torched my Win7 install. The recovery app was able to do its job and I didn't lose anything.

I should note that the Ubuntu install failed at the "getting time from server" step. Never got anywhere after that. I found a fix for it in another thread.

So, I fell back to reading instructions.

Defrag'd windows partition and shrank it using windows drive manager in Win7.
    Formatted new partition with NTFS. Rebooted a couple of times to make sure Win7 knew what the drive looked like now.
    Downloaded and installed Ubuntu iso on a flash drive.
    Booted from that and from the aforementioned thread RAN ubuntu rather than installing from the prompt.
    Once Ubuntu was up and running I ran the install from the desktop icon.

Install went great! The only catch was that the Broadcom driver and Nvidia accelerator had to be selected from the list of restricted (?) drivers. This was pretty obvious though as Ubuntu notified me of it straight away.

Bluetooth mouse worked on first try, wireless is great, Fn-F keys do all the right things (dimming display, control volume, etc).

Pretty close to a perfect install once done correctly.

Cheers!
    Last edited by tweezak; November 1st, 2010 at 06:13 PM. Reason: spelling

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

1) 10.04 LTS
    2) SONY Vaio
    3) VGN-NS11M

Works well right out-of-the-box except for the "mute" and "av-mode" hotkeys.
    The only issue is the built-in microphone with a quick fix:

put

options snd-hda-intel model=toshiba-s06

at the end of

/etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf

.. and you're ok

Beans

Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick
    HP
    Dv7-1261wm

(warning: few audio issues when compiling custom kernel, use official ubuntu repos)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

1) 10.10 Maverick Meerkat
    2) IBM
    3) ThinkPad T60p
    with Samsung SyncMaster 2494HM

So far so good. Had problems with the external monitor (SyncMaster) with 10.4 so proceeded on to 10.10 from 9.10 (Karmic Koala.) The issue with 10.4 was the monitor had wavey and fuzzy lines (read somewhere that this was a kernel problem where the processor(s) couldn't drive the monitor..whatever)

Haven't tried the wifi yet, but so far things look OK. Will report back as I try out more with the machine.

Beans

1) 10.04
    2) Lenovo
    3) Thinkpad T410i

All major functions working well (Intel wireless, integrated video w/ 2 monitor support, Bluetooth). I have noticed that powertop never shows the machine entering C4 power state and it seems to suck down a bit more battery than I'd like when idle.

There are some open bugs being worked out:
    - USB ports not working after resume (fixed in kernel patch)
    - SD card inserted during hibernate causes hang (fixed in kernel patch)
    - Indicator applet sometimes shows battery life percentage off by a factor of 10, i.e. battery at 79% shows up as 7.9% remaining. Happens when disconnecting from AC power.

Beans

Date: 11/7/10

Ubuntu 11.04 , probably apply to 10.10 as well.
    HP 6910p
    Everything works, but
    video with ATI radeon X2300 was suck, download latest version http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx now look much better
    wireless: WPA, hidden network, keep asking for password, eventhough my pw and keyring are the same.
    had to play around with it for a while to get rid of it, i think the fix was put a check mark for all users.
    Also, uncheck to Bluetooth startup option, wireless startup & connect REALLY fast.
    Last edited by bachphi; November 7th, 2010 at 01:28 PM.

Beans

Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick
    Asus Bamboo
    U43JC-X1

You can use Ubuntu out of the box, but you will want to do some tweaking (especially to disable Nvidia Optimus and stop wasting battery life). See the howto here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1615564

Beans

1) Ubuntu 10.10 Desktop
    2) Ergo Ensis/ Asus
    3) Notebook/L4000 (something - I'll update the post when I find out.) (Both are the same machine)

Well, I'm pleased to say that Ubuntu works perfectly on this machine now,albeit that the scroll wheel under the trackpad doesn't work,whereas before the integrated graphics were worse than dire and the function keys didn't work. Both work fine now.The scroll wheel didn't work then and doesn't now, but it's no big deal, as Ubuntu's touchpad app can set the outside edge to act as a scroll wheel anyway. However, the integrated wireless seems to be a bit dodgy, comes and goes, sorts of connects then disconnects, then connects, then disconnects, and sometimes it decides that it won't accept the right wireless password. Although it might just be a dodgy wireless module, as I don't have a clue if it worked properly before, as I had to swap motherboards (It's a sort of cheap project machine, bought of Ebay), and then I couldn't find the driver for XP.
    Last edited by linuxpingu; November 9th, 2010 at 12:36 AM. Reason: Added a few details that I'd forgotten

Page 22 of 184 FirstFirst ... 1220212223243272122 ... LastLast