Thread: Access xp from Ubuntu

Beans

Access xp from Ubuntu

I'm dual booting xp and ubuntu. I mostly use Ubuntu for my daily Internet browsing, sometimes i need to access some software installed in xp, so i need to restart my laptop and then login to windows to access that particular application.

Is there anyway to access my already installed xp from ubuntu using virtual box or any similar software.

Beans

Re: Access xp from Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by SyAu View Post
    Is there anyway to access my already installed xp from ubuntu using virtual box or any similar software.
    No. Not for the purposes of running your xp installed software.

But you could install windows as a virtual machine inside Virtualbox or similar and run your programs from there, assuming your hardware is up to running a VM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

What are you trying to run? Have you checked winehq for compatibility? It might run

http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManage...Ascending=true

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

You can, but it's not without risks. See this somewhat out of date example of how to do it with VirtualBox: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=769883

I don't really recommend this approach (yes, I have used it!) unless you want to risk losing the ability to boot XP natively for the convenience not having to always reboot. Better to use either a physical XP or a virtual one, but not both at the same time...

Incidentally, converting your physical XP to a virtual one works fine, it's just the ability to use it in either mode that has lots of pitfalls providing new ways of breaking XP - as if it didn't have enough to start with.

Beans

Thanks for the info guys .... I will play it safe and use xp separately.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

as told previously, all exe apps can run smootly (mostly) with wine (winehq), no need to be sticked with windoz

https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-wine/+archive/ppa

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by dino99 View Post
    as told previously, all exe apps can run smootly (mostly) with wine (winehq), no need to be sticked with windoz
    Not even close. Some will run ok, some will run with restrictions, many will not run at all. Saying that "all exe apps" will work in WINE - smoothly or otherwise - is simply wrong.