Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: new laptop advice (UK)

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: new laptop advice (UK)

Thanks for the info.

The Compaq laptops listed above look interesting , but Im put off by the ATI graphics having been burnt in the past.

I need to connect to an external monitor. Im thinking about a new macbook with nvidia graphics.

Beans

Get a Thinkpad. T series is 14", quite nice. The X series goes down to 13", but the price goes way up. Thinkpads are quite popular amongst Linux users and typically well supported.

Beans
    Hidden!

www.system76.com enough said.

...though come to think about it I dunno if they ship to the UK... If not HP.com is probably your best bet.
    Diaspora Handle: masternetra@diasp.org

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by kingmoffa View Post
    Thanks for the info.

The Compaq laptops listed above look interesting , but Im put off by the ATI graphics having been burnt in the past.

I need to connect to an external monitor. Im thinking about a new macbook with nvidia graphics.
    In the past nvidia was the better choice to go for with Ubuntu, but not anymore. I have had more trouble with on-board nvidia graphics then I have had with ATI. Every system I have worked with in the last 8 months that have been using ATI graphics have all worked flawlessly.

I am running a Radeon HD 4670 and couldn't be happier with it.
    Do a bit of online searching and you will see that the ATI Radeon HD 4200 is get pretty good reviews.

Plus (you didn't hear this from me ) Mac OS X Leopard runs really well on the ATI Radeon HD 4000 series as these are what they use in there systems. I know a few people running it on there PC's/Laptops.
    Last edited by pinguy; July 22nd, 2010 at 06:54 PM.

DONATE TO PINGUY OS or show some love on Patreon.com

Beans
    Hidden!

I may well reconsider ATI then - I just need external monitor support not 3D / compiz or other fancy stuff.

The dell desktop I bought with ubuntu preloaded came with an ATI card. It worked ok - but had a few problems here and there when a kernel upgrade happened. (This was with official driver not open source).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12