Thread: Remote Desktop with router WRT54GS2

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Remote Desktop with router WRT54GS2

I recently got a new router (and new isp). On my old isp and router it seemed quite simple to remote desktop to my linux box from any of my windows xp machines using vnc.

After I got my new router(WRT54GS2) and pretty much at the same time upgraded to 10.04 I had went back to reconfigure it. I simply cannot find a way to make this work. On the old version of ubuntu the remote desktop settings had a choice to change the port which seemed like the key ingredient to make it work when I was having troubles before. This new version seems verrry dumbed down to me and I can't seem to get anything to work.

I read some tutorials and all I've seen is to change port forwarding settings on my router(i'll include a picture of what that looks like) If anyone has gotten this to work and can give me some tips I would GREATLY appreciate it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by SpenceMakesSense; July 19th, 2010 at 02:25 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Re: Remote Desktop with router WRT54GS2

bump

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

bumpin

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Are you sure that you can access your computer from the outside, maybe on other ports? Last time I had an ISP change I was no longer able to do that (I'm evdently behind a second router).
    I'll look at the VNC settings...
    If I'm not being clear enough or giving you enough information, just ask

"But woe to him who is alone when he falls, for he has no one to help him up."

Smooth scrolling for GTK!

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

When I go to my remote desktop settings it says its only available through local. So I only assumed I couldn't connect from a different connection. I can try a different port but I saw no setting with ubuntu to access from a different port. It was there on previous versions but this one doesn't seem to let me.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

What exactly are you using for the VNC server?
    If I'm not being clear enough or giving you enough information, just ask

"But woe to him who is alone when he falls, for he has no one to help him up."

Smooth scrolling for GTK!

pricetech is offline Iced Blended Vanilla Crème Ubuntu
    Beans

If you're offering a VNC connection to the Internet, it's best if you don't make it work. VNC is big security risk.

SSH is your better choice. NX Client, Node, Server from NoMachine dot com will let you remote in with a fully functional GUI and still have the security of Secure Shell.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Lars View Post
    What exactly are you using for the VNC server?
    On the windows machine all I'm using is VNC lite. This has worked with no problem before with barely any setup on the ubuntu or windows machine. It seemed like mostly router work before.
    Btw right now this is all me trying to connect locally. If not previously understood

pricetech is offline Iced Blended Vanilla Crème Ubuntu
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by SpenceMakesSense View Post
    right now this is all me trying to connect locally. If not previously understood
    I wasn't sure, that's why I brought up the security. I think you'll find that NX will give you better performance as well.

Terminal Server Client works to control windows boxen from Linux quite well too.

I use both on a regular basis. I also use VNC on a couple of "servers" because the software they "serve" requires they stay logged in all the time, not an option with RDP.