Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: major sound issues with skype on lucid

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: major sound issues with skype on lucid

Quote Originally Posted by lidex View Post
    Have you unchecked the option in skype to control mixer levels?
    Never thought to try it as the volume levels are fine. Its like the mic isn't getting buffered correctly because the words get ran together and even cut off at times. I just tried unchecking that option with no difference. Any way i can increase the mic buffer or do you have any other ideas of what could be causing this? Its happened on two different computers from fresh installs of lucid.
    Here is the endurance of the set-apart ones, here are those guarding the commands of Elohim and the belief of Yahushua.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 15.04 Vivid Vervet

This happens on two different computers? Now that is weird. Is this using the same mic?
    Also have a thorough read of this page:
    http://ohioloco.ubuntuforums.org/sho...d.php?t=843012
    Make sure to read the section 'Restore Default Configurations'
    Last edited by lidex; July 18th, 2010 at 08:49 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

This happens on two different computers? Now that is weird. Is this using the same mic?
    Yes, two completely different systems with clean installs of lucid. Both using the same usb telnet box. This box works fine with my netbook running lucid from an upgrade but i want to use my netbook as its intended not tied down with usb devices especially when i have a couple desktops just sitting around collecting dust.

edit: i should also note that the telnet box was just recently purchased so i never done anything on the netbook to make it work in the past it just worked out of the box. This has to be something between pulse and skype.
    Last edited by ethos_dacapo; July 18th, 2010 at 08:44 AM.
    Here is the endurance of the set-apart ones, here are those guarding the commands of Elohim and the belief of Yahushua.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

My audio was generally noisy with Ubuntu, it got worse after skype, this on a old Yamaha card. I would hear constant cracking noise with sound, other programs like Smplyer, VLC and others would also start cracking after opening up skype and the only way to get rid of that would be to reboot. I installed Kubuntu which doesn't use Pulse and all my noise went away, sound is flawless and my love for KDE is back again after 1999 with SUSE.
    The finding of unity in variety is really what we call knowledge..... Vivekananda.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Linuxforall View Post
    My audio was generally noisy with Ubuntu, it got worse after skype, this on a old Yamaha card. I would hear constant cracking noise with sound, other programs like Smplyer, VLC and others would also start cracking after opening up skype and the only way to get rid of that would be to reboot. I installed Kubuntu which doesn't use Pulse and all my noise went away, sound is flawless and my love for KDE is back again after 1999 with SUSE.
    Thank you! I've used the netbook remix and studio editions but never kubuntu, i guess nows time to give it a shot. I would have never thought to do so otherwise.

This still isn't the answer i was looking for but if it works i'll settle for it, especially on a computer who's only function is to run skype.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 15.04 Vivid Vervet

If your only object is to run skype, you can remove pulseaudio. Others have had that plight.
    http://art.ubuntuforums.org/showpost...&postcount=133

Or use lubuntu:
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Lubuntu
    Last edited by lidex; July 18th, 2010 at 02:48 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

If your only object is to run skype, you can remove pulseaudio. Others have had that plight.
    http://art.ubuntuforums.org/showpost...&postcount=133

Or use lubuntu:
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Lubuntu
    I tried removing pulseaudio in the past and it only made things worse. Installed kubuntu and set it as default vs. gdm but now i can't remote back in to it. I'll have to dig out the monitor and accessories later and see what gives.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by ethos_dacapo View Post
    I tried removing pulseaudio in the past and it only made things worse. Installed kubuntu and set it as default vs. gdm but now i can't remote back in to it. I'll have to dig out the monitor and accessories later and see what gives.
    Has Kubuntu solved your sound issue?
    The finding of unity in variety is really what we call knowledge..... Vivekananda.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Linuxforall View Post
    Has Kubuntu solved your sound issue?
    It may have but since i can't get remote access i won't know until i have time to hook up a monitor and keyboard etc... I will let you know either way asap.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by ethos_dacapo View Post
    Thank you! I've used the netbook remix and studio editions but never kubuntu, i guess nows time to give it a shot. I would have never thought to do so otherwise.

This still isn't the answer i was looking for but if it works i'll settle for it, especially on a computer who's only function is to run skype.
    Ok i do not like kde at all. I installed it and it and switched to a kde session, but guess what? Skype was still defaulting to pulseaudio server under sound option with no chance of changing it. I previously tried uninstalling pulseaudio altogether but then i got no sound at all from the usb device. This is turning into a whole lot of bs just to be able to use a simple app. Maybe i should just stick with windows.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast