Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: If Windows was free would you dump Linux?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: If Windows was free would you dump Linux?

NO.

I stay with Debian family(Kubuntu in my case).
    Registered Linux user,number 507113.02-01-2013: ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO 785G |Athlon 2 X4 640|4 GiB DDR|1 TiB SATA2|Radeon HD 6570(HDMI)|Realtek 7.1 HDMI audio|Gigabit Lan|Kubuntu 12.10 Quanzal AMD64

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

on some boxes yes, on others no. I recently purchased a technet std subscription (a good deal btw; 150$ a year for all you can eat MS standard edition products), so I installed win7 for the kids PC (linux was a bit of a limitation for them) and on the familyroom media PC (woohoo netflix), and upgraded the xp dualboot on my workhorse tower/gaming box. all my other boxes however remain ubuntu.

Ubuntu's benefits to me are not really price based (though it was a factor considering the number of PCs we have), but more technological. in the 3 years I've been primarily using linux in personal life, I have learned incredible amounts, not just about linux, but about how all computers function on a lower level, simply because linux does not put all this abstraction in the way. i can "see" all the way down to the kernel if I just keep digging,, whereas windows tries to make it appear that there is nothing under the hood at all; and it works by magic.
    Things are rarely just crazy enough to work, but they're frequently just crazy enough to fail hilariously.

Beans

No.

Even if it were just about price, linux has so much cost-less software that takes only one click to install, I think you would still be saving money and time with Ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by Endomancer View Post
    I won't go dumping anything, but I might consider dual booting
    Same here. At this point, I wouldn't dump Linux for a free Windows or even if someone gave me a brand new, free Mac.

I would probably install Windows on another computer and keep my main computer Linux-only.

Beans

If Windows ever became Open-Source, I'd dual-boot...after community fixes. Since that would never happen, not even if being given away would I use it. I've gotten free versions due to school and I still don't use them.

I'll stick with Ubuntu while trying out new distros to see which ones I really like and dual/triple/quadruple/etc.-boot with them. "Testing distros", thy name is VirtualBox.

Anyway, no. Until it becomes open for people to actually help fix all the things wrong with it and all the slowness, etc., then I'm sticking to Linux. Less headaches, unless you're working with x64.

Jesse~
    Currently running Operating Systems:
    Linux Mint 10 "Julia" (x86) | Maemo 5 (Nokia N900 Phone ARM) | Windows 7 Ultimate (x86)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Unless becoming open source means less BSOD, less lag (that occurs for no reason) and more customization option: no.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234