Thread: Macbook 3.1 And Ubuntu

Beans

Macbook 3.1 And Ubuntu issue

Hello Guys, ive tried my best to search the forums for the answers im looking for but im not having any luck.

Ok so i recently got a hold of a macbook 3.1, installed ubuntu 10.04 on it(Single boot). When i got the macbook the OSX that was installed on it had some serious issues, so without the OSX restore disk i had nothing so i hopped on my friends macbook pro and dled Ubuntu burnt it to a disk and installed it flawlessly on my macbook 3.1. During that installation i did remove the old OSX partitions completely and created a new one for ubuntu(the whole HD).

later i was able to find a OSX Leopard backup on the interweb so on my pc i downloaded tit and burnt it to a dvd. When i try to boot from startup i just get a blinking cursor it stayed like that all while i took a 2 hour nap. Note that from within ubuntu i could see all the files on the disk so thats issue number one

Number 2 is that im trying to burn a dvd from a iso in ubuntu and when ever i insert a blank disk it says its unreadable and when i try to eject it it gets stuck. i have to hold the mouse button while it reboots in order to get it out. Whats causing this? how do i fix these issues.

Eventually i want to startover and put mac osx on there (for steam) and ubuntu for primary use. could anyone help?
    Last edited by Pondera; June 25th, 2010 at 07:51 AM.

Beans

Re: Macbook 3.1 And Ubuntu

up

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Macbook 3.1 And Ubuntu

If you got a torrented copy of OS X, there is no guaranty that it will work. I'm not here to question the legitimacy of your disc though.

What you can try to do is at bootup, hold down the 'alt' key, it should show a "windows" hard drive (ubuntu), and you will hear the DVD drive spin up, after a little bit of the DVD drive reading the disc, it should pop up a new icon saying "Mac OS X Install Disc" or something similar. Choose that one.

P.S.: It's been announced that Steam will be ported to Linux.