Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why don't some developers provide installers?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Why don't some developers provide installers?

Some come as .tar.gz but do not need to be compiled.Just extract and play like Gish.Can you PM me the linux archive?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

If I compile a program on my x86 computer on Linux, I can't run that precompiled version on a computer that uses an ARM CPU, or a PowerPC CPU, or anything except an x86 CPU.

Source code is the lowest-common-denominator - you can compile source code to run on any CPU that Linux supports. But a binary, a precompiled package - forget it.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans

Some distros have a repository with the binaries & for source, for both x86 / x86_64 & more.

I don't want installers though, as a good package manager is just that & more.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 8.04 Hardy Heron

you bought a 2d game. Nice
    Behold! The internet...
    My god, it's full of ads.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Cool Re: Why don't some developers provide installers?

That game is worse than Facebook.
    If at first you don't succeed - just buy the company and tell them to make the one you want.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by steveneddy View Post
    That game is worse than Facebook.
    why so, i see good reviews

anyway the op should at least open a thread in their forums
    When close to achieving you quit! If you don't try you failed. Real Winners are not afraid of losing.
    ubuntu newsletter ; Report Papercuts (small annoyances/bugs) ; beginners guide and video http://youtube.com/watch?v=Z0tNpt5RZYI

-grubby is offline May the Ubuntu Be With You!
    Beans
    Hidden!

Honestly, they probably didn't have the time/will/whatever to make the packages, so they just give you the source and let you compile it.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by murderslastcrow View Post
    It's just easier to plop the source down and make the user take care of dependencies than looking around trying to make sure the dependencies are met for each distribution they wanna' get it on.
    Quote Originally Posted by -grubby View Post
    Honestly, they probably didn't have the time/will/whatever to make the packages, so they just give you the source and let you compile it.
    +1 to both the above!

There's also the possibility that the developer is happy that they've got the program up and running, and is keen to get onto the next project.
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog

Beans

Since they could be bothered to compile for Windows, why couldn't they compile for Linux? ok, you might have to do it twice for deb/rpm, but it's not that bad, surely? Not all of us are CLI ninjas these days.
    Last edited by Old Marcus; May 16th, 2010 at 06:22 AM. Reason: Changed so it still makes sense. Although said word doesn't count as swearing this side of the pond.

Beans
    Hidden!

Because packaging is a different skill than programming, and not every developer has it. The odds of a project having someone who is able to package for the distro you happen to use goes down with the size of the project, especially if your distro is anything less than common.

Quote Originally Posted by mamamia88 View Post
    and just leave tar archives? just curious seeing how much easier it is to istall games from sh, bin, or deb.
    Also, installers suck...

Quote Originally Posted by Old Marcus View Post
    Since they could be <snip> to compile for Windows, why couldn't they compile for Linux? ok, you might have to do it twice for deb/rpm, but it's not that bad, surely? Not all of us are CLI ninjas these days.
    ... and binaries are easily made incompatible and unusable from the slightest difference between two distros, or even two releases. And that goes up with the complexity of the project (or the number of shared libraries it links against).

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast