Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Update breaks sound on Toshiba NB100 (8.04)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Update breaks sound on Toshiba NB100 (8.04)

My NB100 (with the original installed OS, kept updated) installed a whole batch of updates today (it described itself as a distribution upgrade, but I'm still on 8.04, so this is puzzling me).

The only problem I've found is that the sound doesn't work after update. Booting to previous kernel (2.6.24-24-lpia), everything ok; booting to new one (2.6.24-27-lpia), no sound devices found, and pavucontrol reports segmentation fault and crashes.

Is this peculiar to my computer, and if so how do I fix it? If it is a common problem, still, can it be fixed?

Thanks

Beans

Re: Update breaks sound on Toshiba NB100 (8.04)

I have the same hardware and software version and the same problem, exactly.

Booting to previous kernel (2.6.24-24-lpia), everything OK also
    Last edited by stape; April 28th, 2010 at 05:23 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Glad to hear it is not just me.

As a temporary fix I've changed the default kernel in GRUB's menu.lst. (I don't know enough about this to recommend it but it worked for me.)

I've noticed that Update Manager has a greyed out update that won't install, linux-image-lpia. Use Synaptic I see that the installed version is 2.6.24.24.26-0netbook1 and there should be a version 2.6.24.27.29-0netbook1, but when I try to install (using Synaptic) I get the error message
    Code:
    linux-image-lpia:
     Depends: linux-ubuntu-modules-2.6.24-27-lpia  but it is not installable
    Any ideas for a better fix?

Thanks

Beans

As a temporary fix I've changed the default kernel in GRUB's menu.lst. (I don't know enough about this to recommend it but it worked for me.)

I've noticed that Update Manager has a greyed out update that won't install, linux-image-lpia.
    I changed the default kernel using startup manager and also have the same greyed out update.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I also have a Toshiba NB100 with 8.04 that has regularly updated without issue since July 2009, until 28/04/2010, when the update has resulted in the sound and web cam not working. I have found the following..........

~$ ls -la /dev/snd
    ls: cannot access /dev/snd: No such file or directory
    michael@TOSHIBA-User:~$ dpkg -l linux-ubuntu-modules-2.6.22-14-386
    No packages found matching linux-ubuntu-modules-2.6.22-14-386.

Can someone please advise a way forward with this issue

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

In addition to the sound issue, I have discovered that Skype is now broken since the update of the 28/04/2010, prior to the update the speech and video using Skype worked very well, after the update on attempting to launch skype via CLI I see the following.........................

libQtDBus.so.4 cannot be found

I assume this is a library file, have any other NB100 users on 8.04 had this happen since the update?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

You guys should upgrade to UNE 10.04, I did this on my NB100 and *everything* worked fine - the only thing you lose is the Toshiba logo in the UNE interface. You'll have to do a clean install as the provided 8.04 has been modified to not be upgradeable. This also of course fixes the breaks in the last 8.04 update for this machine (I too had loss of sound, webcam not working and keyboard mapping going weird).
    Last edited by mo79; May 5th, 2010 at 10:18 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Beans

This issue has been bugging me for a few weeks. The suggestion of booting the previous kernal works for me so thanks everyone for suggesting that. It is not a very satisfactory fix long term though so I hope someone who is cleverer than I comes up with something better!

Thanks again to the people who posted to this thread.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I followed the advice to upgrade to 10.04, I was a little nervous about doing this as everything including Skype had been working reliably on 8.04. Apart from 2 minor issues, one with Skype, and the other, changing back from UNE to the familiar 4 desktop Gnome front end. I am happy that the main applications are working well now with 10.04 UNE OS.
    If any other NB100 owners feel uncertain about upgrading, I can write a step by step procedure on how I was able to do this with the help of a Windows PC.
    The only expenditure was £4.99, buying a Sony 2Gb memory stick from Sainsbury's, which is now my dedicated "rescue disc"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast