Thread: ubuntu version?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

ubuntu version?

I recently bought all the parts I need to build a custom pc, I was wondering if any versions of ubuntu are better suited for this task, as in more stable and less problematic, this will be my first experience with linux so I want to make sure I'll be making it as easy and pain free as possible

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: ubuntu version?

9.10 is the latest stable version and as such I'd probably recommend that. Since you've already bought your parts there are little recommendations that we can make. There are certain parts that work better with Linux than others but we're beyond that point now.

Best of luck!
    Ubuntu 10.04
    Phenom II 955BE - Radeon 4870x2 - 8GB DDR3 - 2x Barracuda 1.5TB RAID 1 - Barracuda 750 GB - WB Green 1TB
    www.jellisontech.com

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Well first off, I hope your considered the compatibility of the hardware when buying it

Lucid Lynx (10.04, what will be the newest version) will be coming out at the end of this month, and it seems to be shaping up to be a great release. It's a long term support release, which will generally provide stability and security. The current version, Karmic Koala (9.10) has always been rather good for me as well, if you don't wish to wait/download the beta version of Lucid.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by Hal1ow3en View Post
    I recently bought all the parts I need to build a custom pc, I was wondering if any versions of ubuntu are better suited for this task, as in more stable and less problematic, this will be my first experience with linux so I want to make sure I'll be making it as easy and pain free as possible
    This depends a lot on which hardware you are running. I read a LOT of comments regarding problems with laptops and relatively few problems with desktops.

As of today, the latest official version of Ubuntu is 9.10 because the next version is still in beta test until 4/29. I have been running 9.10 on a desktop for some months and I have it pretty well stabilized - it did take some work to get it running well; I used the upgrade path rather than fresh install. Fresh installs tend to have fewer problems.

You might also consider the long term support issue. If your system will be used in a production environment then this will probably be important. But for personal use, most people prefer to be running something fairly recent.

I avoid installing a new version until several months after it has been released. This provides an opportunity for many of its bugs to be identified and quite a few of them to be fixed.

quadproc

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

You will probably receive numerous differences of opinion with regards to this topic. However, one should keep in mind that the last LTS release is 8.04. This version is fairly stable but lacks some support features and updated functionality. I've personally found 9.04 to also be extremely stable and suggest it to new users.

The next scheduled LTS release is 10.04 and for a home built system, I'd be a little hesitant to use it (out the shoot) - without testing and watching for feedback here. I tend to be conservative and usually wait at least 2 to 3 months after a release prior to upgrading. This gives the new release a chance to be updated and any misc. problems (lingering after initial release) are often resolved in that period.

One thing you may wish to confirm is your hardware compatibility with respect to different versions. As it's been my experience that some hardware performs better on certain versions. Especially, video & wifi.

I wish you Good Luck with which ever choice you make.
    "All change is not growth, as all movement is not forward."
    Ellen Glasgow

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Thanks for the replies,

I did post up the hardware in the hardware section of these forums and was told they were all compatible, sounds like 9.10 is the way for me then, I was unsure if I needed to go earlier, as quadproc suggest I think I'll stick with karmic for a few months before going to the latest version.

Hopefully it will be a smooth installation over the weekend, if not I'm sure I'll be on these forums

Thanks again