Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking for Ubuntu Mentor

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Looking for Ubuntu Mentor

@Miljet what does LTS mean?

@mcoleman44 most of my kids don't have pc access at home, so that will not be much of a problem. in addition their homework will not be computer related.

@tommynz1975 thanks dude.

@Miljet Do you know when 10.04 will be available? Do you think it will be stable? Will they have a server version?

thanks everyone for your valuable input!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

LTS stands for Long Term Service. It means that the version will be supported for three years rather than the normal 18 months (five years for the server edition). It means that once you get it set up like you want, you don't have to worry about upgradeing for a longer time.

10.04 will be available next month. The 10 indicates the year, 2010. The 04 indicates the month of the release, 04 = April. Every new version has both a desktop as well as a server edition. It will be at least as stable as any other new operating system and better than most.
    Break it, fix it, learn something.
    People who never make mistakes seldom make anything!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by frodo_9fin View Post
    @tommynz1975 thanks dude.

@Miljet Do you know when 10.04 will be available? Do you think it will be stable? Will they have a server version?

thanks everyone for your valuable input!
    Your most welcome, The great thing about this forums is you do not need to know everything and everyone would seam to know a little about something..

Ubuntu Forums has been a valuable resource. Also on my link
    http://www.linux-books.us/ Some books maybe out of date but others will still have much much knowledge to be gleamed.

Quote Originally Posted by someone-wise
    Don't feed the trolls
    Windows XP is like an 8" FDD, kept for compatibility but is no longer required.
    www.linux-books.us/ Free Linux books a great source of information viewable . in PDF
    Ubuntu User 23555

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

OOO is OpenOffice or more correctly OpenOffice.org. I work with Highschool seniors a bit and while they generally have a pretty good understanding of Excel, they don't always have a good understanding of the math capabilities that a spreadsheet offers. Introducing them to another Office Suite and also showing the capability of crunching numbers and graphing them out could be beneficial to these kids.

I sure wish a computer and Office Suites when I was going to school...

I agree with the LTS sentiment expressed on 10.4 not only does it get a longer support life, LTS distributions tend to be the most stable, although 9.10 is awfully stable also.
    Liberty in Life and Freedom in Software.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

Last edited by mikewhatever; March 22nd, 2010 at 02:37 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Miljet View Post
    LTS stands for Long Term Service.
    Support not Service.

Frodo, if you can wait a couple of weeks, end of April I think actually, Lucid (10.04) will be available.

As for a mentor it is obvious you have plenty of offers for support but may I recommend you use the forums in the first instance. That way others who will follow you in this adventure will be able to read your threads and learn without going through the exact same process that you did.

May I also suggest you read this, this, this, and this. Also get in touch with your local LoCo

There are many avenues you can take but it is important that you read up and work out the best way for you.

Remember 1 last thing, "Pay it forward".
    Last edited by k3lt01; March 22nd, 2010 at 04:32 AM.
    Ubuntu User 23142 | Wiki | Laptop | HowTo:Create a background slideshow and Screensaver | Reconditioning pre-loved PCs and installing Ubuntu to give away to good homes.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

@mikewhatever - ITALC looks like it has great potential. Thank you so much for the valuable links. The classroom server looks like it uses thin clients. I was wondering if I have 15 to 20 computers running software on the server at once, will that slow things down too much. As an example: 16 kids running a data collection software like vernier labs software, open office for graphing and word processing, and perhaps a phet simulator, and a web browser. would a small server be able to handle all that activity?

@k3lt01 - i checked out the literature you posted and bookmarked it all and i have begun to read. i thank you for all that information. i am wondering what you mean by use the forums. i think you are suggesting using a different forum to post all this information. i have looked through some of the other forums and i have not found like this where a complete novice has it in his crazy head to get a classroom lan together with a server. i am still looking. i have been using the forums to figure out a lot of interesting stuff. a couple days ago i got microsoft office working using wine. that was very cool and helpful. the forums are pretty amazing. i am no trying to get vampire the masquerade redemption working but not having any luck yet. i will keep trying though.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by frodo_9fin View Post
    i am wondering what you mean by use the forums.
    I mean instead of using a handful of people as mentors and contacting them away from this forum (the one we are communicating on right now: ubuntuforums.org) it would be nice if you post your questions on this forum and let everyone help you.
    Ubuntu User 23142 | Wiki | Laptop | HowTo:Create a background slideshow and Screensaver | Reconditioning pre-loved PCs and installing Ubuntu to give away to good homes.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

@k3lt01 - ahhh! i get it. that sounds like a great idea. i shall do that. thanks for explaining that for me. sometimes i can't see the obvious...well actually much of the time that is true

thanks

Beans
    Distro

Mate, I'm a teacher (Social Sciences) as well, I know what you mean about not seeing the obvious. One question though, why is it always Science and Maths teachers who suffer with this condition more than others? Kidding.

Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast