Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lubuntu (make it look like default Gnome?)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Lubuntu (make it look like default Gnome?)

Hi, I'm giving LXDE a try (me a confirmed Gnome user!) due to frustrations with the way Gnome has been moving. My biggest question after trying to use the live cd installer via USB key on my eeepc 901 was whether it was possible to default the theme to the Gnome way of doing things--two panels, clock on the top right, apps showing up in tabs on the bottom panel, that kind of thing.

I've already played with the panels a bit and think I can sort've tweak things a bit, but really would prefer an easy button of some sort if it exists. Is there a script or something I can run to automatically set the theme to behave like the way Ubuntu's version of Gnome does things? I saw the thread on running Gnome panels in LXDE, but that would defeat the point for me, since one of the issues I have with the current direction is the broken panels in Gnome, and the stupid removal of panel apps like battstat for no apparent reason.

So is it possible to do this easily or am I stuck trying to cobble together a theme by hand?

--bornagainpenguin
    Have a Virgin Mobile USA smartphone?
    Check these guys out!

Beans

Re: Lubuntu (make it look like default Gnome?)

it's linux, you can do anything you want.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by kerry_s View Post
    it's linux, you can do anything you want.
    Perhaps all things are possible, but not all things are easy to make possible. Hence why I am asking if there is an easy way to reconfigure the default desktop so it moire resembles the Gnome desktop, much like Xubuntu comes defaulted to the same layout seen in Ubuntu.

--bornagainpenguin
    Check these guys out!

Beans

Moved to Desktop Environments.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bornagainpenguin View Post
    Perhaps all things are possible, but not all things are easy to make possible. Hence why I am asking if there is an easy way to reconfigure the default desktop so it moire resembles the Gnome desktop, much like Xubuntu comes defaulted to the same layout seen in Ubuntu.

--bornagainpenguin
    i doubt there is a easy way, you have to do the work to customize it to you. i just downloaded lubuntu, so give me about 5 minutes to boot it up & look around.

Beans

dude, it's so easy, took me less then a minute to get 2 panels, remove & add stuff. are you lazy?

oops, forgot to remove top taskbar, fixed.
    duh, on that spacer just check stretch. lol
    Last edited by kerry_s; May 21st, 2010 at 03:34 PM.

Beans

lubuntu is still a little buggy, somethings just don't work at all & pcmanfm2 has crashed on me several times.

i got most of the gnome look done, i had to create a launcher for the trash, to use on the panel.

anyways had enough, i'll wait till release. back to gnome.
    Last edited by kerry_s; May 21st, 2010 at 03:34 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by kerry_s View Post
    dude, it's so easy, took me less then a minute to get 2 panels, remove & add stuff. are you lazy?
    Lazy? No...

Frustrated? Yes!

I spent quite a bit playing with the alpha 3 I downloaded and hadn't had much success; of course, now that I've seen someone else has managed to do it I'll keep hacking away at it. I was hoping for something easier (a script perhaps), but knowing that I wasn't just wasting my time gives me what I need to keep at it.

Thanks for your time.

--bornagainpenguin

PS: Could mods give a PM next time they move stuff? I had to backspace some twenty times to find this thread again.
    Check these guys out!

Beans

Lazy? No...

Frustrated? Yes!

I spent quite a bit playing with the alpha 3 I downloaded and hadn't had much success; of course, now that I've seen someone else has managed to do it I'll keep hacking away at it. I was hoping for something easier (a script perhaps), but knowing that I wasn't just wasting my time gives me what I need to keep at it.

Thanks for your time.

--bornagainpenguin

PS: Could mods give a PM next time they move stuff? I had to backspace some twenty times to find this thread again.
    yeah, everything's in the right menu of the panel, you just basically remove stuff & add it back on the other panel. it would be nice to have it drag & drop like gnome, but it's not that much harder. i'm downloading the gnome alpha version to try, i might try lxde on that to see how it is without the lubuntu tweaks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by 23meg View Post
    Moved to Desktop Environments.
    --bornagainpenguin

Hi and 23meg did post on moving the thread. You may always use the search, find all your threads.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast