Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: suggest a kde distro

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

suggest a kde distro

hi i curently have been using kubuntu for around a week now using kde 4.4 for a few days tho (previously ubuntu on/off around 2 years)

anyway i want to move to a better kde distro!

must have -
    *good gtk support
    *easy to install media support (Codecs) preferably 1click like "kubuntu-restricted-extras"
    *a package manager
    *firefox+banshee in the repo's or installed by default

the main issue with kubuntu was i could'nt get divx video's in firefox to load, i finaly got this fixed by useing the ubuntu-restricted-extras+gnome mplayer.

so what decent kde ditros would you recomend?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: suggest a kde distro

I use Mandriva Linux 2010 By default on 3 of my systems, and it runs great. Plus I've not had issues with playing video.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

thanks will check it out
    how are gtk apps?
    is the package manger easy to use ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

well i just reinstalled Kubuntu

i tried using the latest opensuse (not user freindly at all)!.
    could not get mobile broadband working so i figured it must be because user permissions were restricting me. so after searching for a good 10 minutes to try and find the user permissions i gave up.

then i realised my wireless wasnt working! i could scan for networks but they wouldnt appear in the "map" or "details" section of knetwork manager i then tried installing wireless drivers and that didnt fix it either.

i have to admit opensuse is a very nice distro its just not clear enough to configure. if there was a user permisions section i could not find it.

why does kubuntu get so much stick for being a bad kde distro? personally i think its great.

the main reason i wanted to try another distro was because kubuntu gets slaged off so i thought id try a high rated kde distro instead, to my surprise it was worse!

Beans

I have always found Kubuntu to be an excellent KDE system. I regret that KDE has evolved the way it has, but perhaps I will be able to use it in the future.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

yeh i think im goin to keep this as my distro for my netbook. would prefer to use ubuntu but windows cant go above panel's without setting it to auto hide,

im currently in the middle of putting 4.4 back on here (love it) cant wait till lucid

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Kubuntu.

Enjoy Dolphin

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I wanna test Mandriva as well. Gave openSUSE a shot, didn't like it as a KDE distro.
    Jordan Open Source Association | E-mail
    Macbook (late 2008) - 2.4Ghz Core2Duo - 4GB RAM - nVidia 9400 - 250GB HDD

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by qwerty2009 View Post
    well i just reinstalled Kubuntu

i tried using the latest opensuse (not user freindly at all)!.
    could not get mobile broadband working so i figured it must be because user permissions were restricting me. so after searching for a good 10 minutes to try and find the user permissions i gave up.

then i realised my wireless wasnt working! i could scan for networks but they wouldnt appear in the "map" or "details" section of knetwork manager i then tried installing wireless drivers and that didnt fix it either.
    Had the same problem.... had to tick off some firewall settings in preferences regarding network configuration. Took me two hour to find it......
    But for me it was running very slow, using too much memory so i removed it (opensuse).

Will Kubuntu run more efficient the Kde4.3/Opensuse?
    Confusion will be my epitaph

Beans

I doubt Kubuntu is much different than OpenSUSE either way.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast