Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Google Chrome / Chromium Browser work in Gnome, but no in KDE

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Google Chrome / Chromium Browser work in Gnome, but no in KDE

I use either the Google-Chrome beta (.deb downloaded from Google) or Chromium-Browser (from the daily ppa) on a number of different machines, both at home and at work.

In all but one case, Chrome/Chromium works fine. The exception is on my primary desktop PC at home. This machine is a Core 2 Quad w/4GB RAM, running the 64-bit version on K/Ubuntu 9.10.

On this machine, I am generally unable to run either Chome/Chromium, at least when using KDE. The browser starts up, but when I select a page for it to load, it acts like it is trying, but then appears to time-out. (I then get the 'Aw snap' message.) If I then close the browser, I notice that 'ps aux' shows that several processes related to Chrome remain running, and have to be manually killed.

The confusing thing is, that if I log out of my KDE session, then start a Gnome session, Chrome seems to work just fine.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this? Any suggestions as to what the issue may be?

I should also mention, that in looking into this, I did set this particular desktop to start using Google's DNS service. It didn't seem to have any effect on anything.

I have poked around through the forums, but have not seen any threads dealing with this kind of an issue.

Thanks!
    Desktop: Kubuntu 18.04 64-bit Core 2 Quad Q9300 @ 2.5GHz 8GB DDR2 Nvidia GT440
    Nettop: Kubuntu 14.04 64-bit Atom D525 @ 1.8GHz 4GB DDR2 Nvidia ION2
    Netbook: Lubuntu 16.04 Dell Mini 9 2GB RAM

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Google Chrome / Chromium Browser work in Gnome, but no in KDE

I can confirm that. I don't have Gnome installed to test, but I'm experiencing the exact same problem on KDE 64bit. BTW, ipv6 is disabled here.

I don't care that much, because I still believe nothing beats Firefox and it works great for me, even with more than 40 extensions installed. But I need to test web sites on different browsers.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I have been using Kubuntu 9.10 64-bit for quite a while with chromium from the daily ppa, and have experienced no such problems :S
    I am currently unable to come up with a witty statement to put in my signature. Please check back later.

Beans
    Distro

baddog144,

I am also having no problem with Chrome (or Chromium) in Kubuntu 9.10 64-bit on several other machines. That is what makes this a bit confusing.

Beans
    Distro

Bump...

Beans

I have the same problem. Not Kubuntu, just plain Ubuntu, but Gnome is not launched. I use Stumpwm.

Chromium worked well for some time after installation, but then it stopped working with the same symptoms. First, I thought the problem began after I installed libnss3-tools to manage certificates. So, I removed the package and reinstalled Chromium. Then, I thought I should remove ~/.pki, too. It didn't help. So, I tried to clean all Chromium directories (I only found ~/.config/chromium). Nothing helped yet...

Beans

I think I found a solution. Could someone with similar problems try and start Chromium with disabled plugins:
    Code:
    chromium-browser --disable-plugins

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by minaev View Post
    I think I found a solution. Could someone with similar problems try and start Chromium with disabled plugins:
    Code:
    chromium-browser --disable-plugins
    I can confirm. It works without the plugins.

Beans

This is not a solution, though, cause it brings other problems, like disabling downloading files (including extension). Perhaps, someone can find the plugin that causes Chromium to stall?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by minaev View Post
    This is not a solution, though, cause it brings other problems, like disabling downloading files (including extension). Perhaps, someone can find the plugin that causes Chromium to stall?
    I would bet on flash Definitely is not java, since I don't have java installed.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast