Thread: Volume applet missing?

Beans
    Hidden!

[SOLVED] Volume applet missing?

So for some reason... I can't seem to re-add my volume applet to my panel after I deleted it, on my karmic install

It used to be listed under "Volume"-something, in the "Add to Panel" window, but it's disappeared.... hm.

Anyone know how I can get it back?
    Last edited by Kareeser; January 18th, 2010 at 06:00 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Volume applet missing?

The volume control is usually part of the notification area. Perhaps you removed the notification area. See if adding it fixes things.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

uh.. that's true rigth clicking > add to panel doesn't show any "volume applet"
    but if I unlock notification area I move my volume icona along with all other systray's icons..
    Have you try to add Notification area? (maybe try toremove and readd..)

Beans
    Hidden!

hm... well look at that. It looks like the volume app was integrated into the notification area.

Cheers for that!

Beans

The removal of the standalone volume applet was a bad move. I don't want anything else the notification area applet on my panel, but I do want a volume control.

Furthermore, I always placed my volume control applet in the corner of the screen. This made it instantly accessible by warping my mouse to the corner and using the scroll-wheel to change the volume. I didn't have to watch the mouse cursor, I could just quickly drag it to the corner and change the volume.

Now I have to watch the cursor and make sure it is on the speaker icon in the notification area before changing the volume.

This is a UI issue that has regressed in Ubuntu 9.10.

I beg developers to bring back the simple volume control applet.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 8.04 Hardy Heron

Sometimes the volume applet may crash due to updates, transferring your home folder to a new install or a bad boot, if re-adding the notification area does not work, try deleting ~/.pulse , don't worry it will recreate itself
    Behold! The internet...
    My god, it's full of ads.

Beans

If you want the old volume control back, get gnome-media and gnome-applets packages from: https://launchpad.net/~dtl131/+archive/ppa
    I don't know how well that will work if you're running pulseaudio though.