Thread: HELP!!!---Installing wireless for Ubuntu 9.1

Beans

HELP!!!---Installing wireless for Ubuntu 9.1

Ok I just installed Ubuntu 9.10 today and am having trouble installing my Broadcom wireless 4318.
    I checked out several outlets and in each one I am ending in a dead end.
    I tried installing ndiswrapper 1.55 (latest version). I get the file extracted to:
    /usr/src/ndiswrapper-1.55
    then I change directories to the containing folder: /usr/src/ndiswrapper-1.55/ndiswrapper-1.55.
    at this point I am changed to just my regular user account
    and I type in "make" and hit enter. I receive just errors all around.

I have attached my results below.

jae@jae-laptop:/usr/src/ndiswrapper-1.55/ndiswrapper-1.55$ make
    make -C driver
    make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/ndiswrapper-1.55/ndiswrapper-1.55/driver'
    make -C /usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.31-14-generic M=/usr/src/ndiswrapper-1.55/ndiswrapper-1.55/driver
    make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.31-14-generic'
    mkdir: cannot create directory `/usr/src/ndiswrapper-1.55/ndiswrapper-1.55/driver/.tmp_versions': Permission denied
    LD /usr/src/ndiswrapper-1.55/ndiswrapper-1.55/driver/built-in.o
    ar: /usr/src/ndiswrapper-1.55/ndiswrapper-1.55/driver/built-in.o: Permission denied
    make[3]: *** [/usr/src/ndiswrapper-1.55/ndiswrapper-1.55/driver/built-in.o] Error 1
    make[2]: *** [_module_/usr/src/ndiswrapper-1.55/ndiswrapper-1.55/driver] Error 2
    make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.31-14-generic'
    make[1]: *** [modules] Error 2
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/ndiswrapper-1.55/ndiswrapper-1.55/driver'
    make: *** [all] Error 2

I have also tried other things like the "synaptic package manager" there is nothing that resembles bcm wireless except "bcmwl-modaliases" and I don't have the option to "mark of installation" - its greyed out.

can anyone help me out? By the way I should mention that I am a complete linux newbie.
    I also tried doing this as a root user ...still no luck.

I do have the windows driver downloaded to the same directory.

Again thanks in advanced with any pointers you can give me
    Maybe I'm doing this completely wrong even...is there another way to get this downloaded?

Wireless information:

05:02.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4318 [AirForce One 54g] 802.11g Wireless LAN Controller (rev 02)
    Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Device 1355
    Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 64, IRQ 20
    Memory at c0204000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=8K]
    Kernel driver in use: b43-pci-bridge
    Kernel modules: ssb

05:02.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4318 [AirForce One 54g] 802.11g Wireless LAN Controller (rev 02)

05:02.0 0280: 14e4:4318 (rev 02)

Jae06

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Re: HELP!!!---Installing wireless for Ubuntu 9.1

You might first try installing b43-fwcutter. You will need a working internet connection though.

For ndiswrapper, you might try installing ndis-gtk or ndiswrapper-common from the repositories unless you need a newer version.

As for the problem you are showing, you need to use:
    Code:
    sudo make
    because you are in /usr/src

If you are having problems with compiling as root, please post the error message that shows up when compiling.

Hope that helps.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: HELP!!!---Installing wireless for Ubuntu 9.10

I recommend to try first enabling Broadcom 4318 proprietary drivers using Ubuntu --> System --> Administration --> Hardware drivers.

I also have a 4318 wireless chipset and that was detected by ubuntu, enabling the driver was easy.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Re: HELP!!!---Installing wireless for Ubuntu 9.10

Quote Originally Posted by kuby View Post
    I recommend to try first enabling Broadcom 4318 proprietary drivers using Ubuntu --> System --> Administration --> Hardware drivers.

I also have a 4318 wireless chipset and that was detected by ubuntu, enabling the driver was easy.
    Thank you for pointing that out. I am used to people not being able to see it through Hardware Drivers in the past so I just point them to its equivalent--b43-fwcutter.

jae06, I agree with kuby. You should try that option first. If it is not there, then you can check and see if you can install b43-fwcutter.