Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: A Linux Technician job

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: A Linux Technician job

Quote Originally Posted by lukeiamyourfather View Post
    Entry level what? In California you can make at least $10 working retail with no experience. I guess location makes a big difference but I'd think $20 an hour would be a reasonable rate. Cheers!
    Location is everything.

Moron techs at Fry's electronics make $25 per hour last time I checked in SanDiego. But in Mississippi and also sure TX may pay little more. A 15per hour job is starting at the bottom, but everyone has to do it. Mind you 15 per hour here in MS is GOOD money more then most people make a hour. The average office job only pays 7.75 a hour here.

But after you get 4 to 8 years experience, you can expect your salary will prob double if not triple depending on the location and job requirement because of the gained experience.
    Linux User: 380654
    CIW Certified Internet Web Professional: 435668

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by hellmet View Post
    Thanks everyone! I'm thinking 15$ per hour to start with wouldn't be bad. Btw, I have a Master's degree in Computer Science, if that changes anything.
    Wow!
    I'm not going to pretend I know anything about the job market in Australia or the USA, but I'm starting to think there are big differences:

My uni pays undergrads AUD$35/hr to tutor, and AUD$50/hr for graduates.
    (AUD$1 is approx USD$0.91 at the moment).

I cannot imagine a graduate here with a Masters working for around $15 per hour. (The government mandated minimum wage in Australia for most jobs (eg retail, bartending, cleaning, etc) is between AUD$13 and AUD$14)
    Last edited by hobo14; December 5th, 2009 at 10:35 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Have you any suggestions for the phone interview?
    I know precisely nothing about jobs in the computer industry (i'm an engineer) but some tips that go for any interview:

• Do some research about the company. Find out what they do and how they do it.
    • Prepare some questions of your own for the interviewer. You can either use them to stimulate conversation or otherwise it's likely that the interviewer will ask outright if you have any. Good things to ask are stuff like "What opportunities for further training or promotion do you offer"
    • As mentioned already, don't try and bluff your way through. For an entry-level job they don't expect you to know everything. They'll be much more interested in someone with a good attitude to learning more than some jerk who thinks he already knows it all.
    • If you do have relevant key skills that aren't necessarily backed up by formal quals (highly likely for a junior position), then compile some evidence that can be used to prove competence.
    • I agree with the others who say don't mention money unless they do. You might not even discuss pay at the first real interview.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by hobo14 View Post
    Wow!
    I'm not going to pretend I know anything about the job market in Australia or the USA, but I'm starting to think there are big differences:

My uni pays undergrads AUD$35/hr to tutor, and AUD$50/hr for graduates.
    (AUD$1 is approx USD$0.91 at the moment).

I cannot imagine a graduate here with a Masters working for around $15 per hour. (The government mandated minimum wage in Australia for most jobs (eg retail, bartending, cleaning, etc) is between AUD$13 and AUD$14)
    I live in AUS too and really $15 is pocket change! You can easily get more! I get $15 dollars an hour as a high school student building computers for friends of friends for christ sakes!
    "Any sufficiently advanced bug is indistinguishable from a feature." - Rich Kulawiec

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by Exodist View Post
    Nope doesnt change anything.. Not to dis you. But I have seen many educated idiots in this world. Nothing can replace pure simple experience... NOTHING...
    Couldn't agree with you more.

@paqman : Thanks. I won't mention anything about salary.

I have been preparing a huge list of interview questions and their answers. Every opportunity will be treated as the last opportunity.
    India is a pluralist society that creates magic with democracy, rule of law and individual freedom, community relations and diversity. I wouldn't mind being born ten times to rediscover India. - Robert Blackwill, U.S Ambassador until 2003.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Couldn't agree with you more.

@paqman : Thanks. I won't mention anything about salary.

I have been preparing a huge list of interview questions and their answers. Every opportunity will be treated as the last opportunity.
    Have a friend who knows the field drill you with questions.

One thing you want when being interviewed is to look and sound confident.

The bach degree means mainly you are capable of starting a large project and also finishing it. I have seen people get high end jobs that have nothing to so with their degree. One of my bosses once had a degree in art!!
    Linux User: 380654
    CIW Certified Internet Web Professional: 435668

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234