Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Am I wasting my time?

Beans

Am I wasting my time?

Hi guys and gals, I've got a question. I've been digging through the dusty tomes of Linux games for over a year now it seems, though maybe not quite that long, and I'm starting to notice a pattern. I stick to Open Source games as much as possible...mostly because I figure if I'm going to actually fork over money for a game, I might as well run it in that -other- operating system...and I'm finding myself severely disappointed.

I like large communities when I go multi-player. Games with 30, 40+ servers, most of them full, and keeping steady with those numbers, no matter what time of day. My schedule is -way- too hectic, for instance, for me to get any real enjoyment out of a game who's main player base logs in between 7pm and 1am on Fridays or whatever. So far, the only game I've found that is anything like what I'm looking for, is Enemy Territory...and those numbers are startlingly inaccurate when you realize that when that server you were about to join says it has 40 people in it...it means that it has 38 bots and 2 real people.

This is seriously starting to hurt, because I've seen so many games that could be pure awesome...if there was more than 2 active servers available with ping times under 500ms...or worse...active at all. So my question is...am I wasting my time looking in Open Source games for a community that size? or have I missed a game somehow? If I'm wasting my time, trust me, I'll still stick with some of the smaller community games, Nexuiz for instance, is a -TINY- community as far as perpetual player numbers compared to what I tend to stick to, but it's an amazingly beautiful game despite that flaw and it's growing on me. However, I would like to know if my quest is in vain.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Am I wasting my time?

Yes.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by PariahVayne View Post
    Yes.
    Useless reply: Do not want.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by NoTownKasper View Post
    Useless reply: Do not want.
    ....am I wasting my time looking in Open Source games for a community that size?
    Yes.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by PariahVayne View Post
    Yes.
    Thank you for a well written, concise, informative and obviously informed post. </sarcasm>

Now...maybe you could try putting a little effort, or perhaps even some information to show that you have any clue what you're talking about, into your post? 1-word replies are utterly useless, even if my question is basically a yes or no. Supporting information would be helpful.

Beans
    Distro

Thank you for a well written, concise,.informative and obviously informed post. </sarcasm>

Now...maybe you could try putting a little effort, or perhaps even some information to show that you have any clue what you're talking about, into your post? 1-word replies are utterly useless, even if my question is basically a yes or no. Supporting information would be helpful.
    even if my question is basically a yes or no

Beans

one word replies from an account less than a month old...unwanted. Go away now please.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

What is wrong with his "Yes." answer? You asked if you are wasting your time looking for open source games that have hundreds or thousands of players online at any given time. There are no open source games that meet your criteria, so "Yes." is a perfectly accurate answer to the question.

If "free-as-in-beer" works, too, and FOSS is not a requirement, look at Quake Live. It works well in Linux, too.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome Development Release

Might be it is not the right time for Linux Gaming. I believe most of the Linux native games I have played are a bit too old fashioned as compared to the Propriety Ones. So you will have to wait some time when Linux Games get a bit more advanced so that people start to play them.

Those who have not be playing Propriety FPS and Action and Adventure etc games will find much fun in playing Enemy Territory, Nexuiz, Tremulous etc but the count is relatively too low. So WAIT......

Beans

It's not so much his answer as the obvious lack of effort put into it, coupled with account age, strikes me as some kiddie spamming useleness to get his post count up. Call it a pet peeve of mine, and yes, I admit, I behaved rudely. Thanks for the offer though, I'll give it another look, haven't tried it in Linux.

FOSS isn't a requirement, it's just easier to search for than 'free games for linux' for someone like me who's too lazy to dig through all the java garbage on the web.

Edit: This was in response to mivo...I was too lazy to quote.
    Last edited by NoTownKasper; December 4th, 2009 at 07:56 AM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast