Thread: Newbie

Beans

Smile Newbie

I am only posting to say I am new to linux. Running Pear 6 it is awesome. Had to work out some things - I mostly rely on forums. Eventually I will not run a widows machine. Biggest problem with that right now (Silverlight / NetFlix). . .

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Newbie

Welcome! Sounds like you're doing great getting up and running. Finding answers on the forums is an invaluable skill.

I don't think there are any ways to run Netflix or Silverlight in Ubuntu. You may find it more convenient, however, to run Windows in a VM within Ubuntu for those purposes.
    Jane, stop this crazy thing!

ibjsb4 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans

For searching this forum (and a few other things):

http://www.googlubuntu.com/

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Not a support request; moved to Community Cafe.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by newb85 View Post
    Welcome! Sounds like you're doing great getting up and running. Finding answers on the forums is an invaluable skill.

I don't think there are any ways to run Netflix or Silverlight in Ubuntu. You may find it more convenient, however, to run Windows in a VM within Ubuntu for those purposes.
    yeah good luck with that. wouldn't try running netflix in a vm unless your computer is super powerful. personally i'd just use an xbox or a cheap roku for videoplack on my tv rather than watch it on my computer anyway
    Whoever came up with the phrase "There is no such thing as a stupid question" obviously never had the internet.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Welcome to the world of Linux. It takes some getting used to because of all the things you're used to doing the "Windows way", but that's what the community is here for. Good to meet you.

Also don't forget to stop by wiki.ubuntu.com . It's got tons of articles written by average joe users who just want to be helpful.
    "Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    -- Mark Twain

Beans

Silverlight with DRM is very close to being Linux-friendly.

Silverlight 4.x is currently working with Netflix and Firefox using WINE, but the patches haven't been incorporated into the release version yet.

I haven't tried myself yet, but it has been reported working as of 2 days ago if you patch the source using the patches in the bug reports and compile from scratch.

http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManage...sion&iId=20679
    Last edited by SkilletHead; November 2nd, 2012 at 10:40 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Arrow Re: Newbie

I never bothered with Silverlight.
    Anyway,welcome to the forum..Not tried Pear yet,but it looks nice.
    A friendly & helpful Linux community who has started a large cursor theme project. If you are sick of tiny cursors, go here and get one.
    http://linuxinternationals.org/forum...orum.php?f=166

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by SkilletHead View Post
    Silverlight with DRM is very close to being Linux-friendly.

Silverlight 4.x is currently working with Netflix and Firefox using WINE, but the patches haven't been incorporated into the release version yet.

I haven't tried myself yet, but it has been reported working as of 2 days ago if you patch the source using the patches in the bug reports and compile from scratch.

http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManage...sion&iId=20679
    Maybe I'm just a little bit of an elitest, but when developers use pre-packaged instances of Wine to run the Windows version of their software on Linux, instead of actually making a native Linux app, it annoys me,
    "Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    -- Mark Twain