Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I do wish people wouldn't bash 9.10 as much...

Beans

I do wish people wouldn't bash 9.10 as much...

Shockingly for you guys, it did actually work well for a LOT of people. You just need to understand that at the moment things aren't perfect. Ubuntu is still maturing as an OS and we aren't even at the next LTS yet, you can't expect everything to work like clockwork all the time, particularly if you have an unusual set up in some way.

My advice is just to roll with it for now, enjoy using the OS and enjoy watching it mature and become more reliable and impressive with every release - that's what I do!

I mean just think of the big improvements we have had for Karmic, such as GRUB 2, the new splash screen, new GDM theme, new Gnome themes, massive improvements to KDE, the Software Center, Empathy and improvements to the social desktop, Ubuntu One.. the list goes on!

And imagine how much this will pave the way for the next LTS release - Lucid!

Just express your opinions of course, and give critiques and explore the negative points of Karmic constructively, but don't just bash it! lol

Just wanted to get that off my chest!

Hoppi!
    Last edited by hoppipolla; November 1st, 2009 at 04:55 AM.
    Registered Ubuntu user #28880

Beans

Re: I do wish people wouldn't bash 9.10 as much...

Quote Originally Posted by hoppipolla View Post
    Shockingly for you guys, it did actually work well for a LOT of people. You just need to understand that at the moment things aren't perfect. Ubuntu is still maturing as an OS and we aren't even at the next LTS yet, you can't expect everything to work like clockwork all the time, particularly if you have a slightly unusual set up in some way.

My advice is just to roll with it for now, enjoy using the OS and enjoy watching it mature and become more reliable and impressive with every release - that's what I do!

I mean just think of the big improvements we have had with Karmic, such as GRUB 2, the new splash screen, new GDM theme, new Gnome themes, massive improvements to KDE, the Software Center, Empathy and improvements to the social desktop, Ubuntu One.. the list goes on!

And imagine how much this will pave the way for the next LTS release - Lucid!

Just express your opinions of course, and give critiques and explore the negative points of Karmic constructively, but don't just bash it! lol

Just wanted to get that off my chest!

Hoppi!
    i agree with you,people put alot of work in, and constructive critisum is helpfull, but bashing it will just gets ubuntu a bad name

i havnt tested out 9.10 yet, as i use arch on my desktop now, nothing personal with ubuntu, i just felt like a change .(still use ubuntu on the server)

i wont install it but i will give it a spin from the live cd to see whats new.
    Desktop:i7 875k|4gb OCZ platinum ddr3 2000|Evga P55 LE mobo|OCZ RevoDrive 50gb|ATI 5850 Black Edition|Silverstone FT02|corsair tx650
    Portable: 13" Macbook Pro 2.8ghz i7 16gb RAM | Asus EEE TF101 | Samsung Galaxy S2

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I agree...and please stop posting new threads asking what people think about Gnome Shell. Otherwise, I won't be able to refrain myself and will reply again and again, telling how wonderful KDE is and blah, blah, blah...

Beans

Happens every single release...

It is basically a combination of the hard and fast release dates meaning some bugs remain, and the sudden increase in the number of installs meaning the sheer variety of hardware it is being used on goes through the roof.

The consequence is lots of people have lots of issues, and because of human nature, they assume that if their box isn't working, then everyone elses must be doing the same, shortly after that they come here to pronounce that x.xx rhyming rhizome is the worst release ever..

There is no way to avoid this happening unless there is some way to get a huge boost in the number of beta testers. Until that day, just ignore the 6 monthly troll-fest as best you can

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

it's funny this about people bashing Ubuntu, every time a new release comes out, it gets called crap, awful, pile of **** , you name it, then when the next release comes out, it's the same with that & that the last release before the new release was better it just worked, hadn't they thought that 6 months of updates to sort the fixes out might of done something about that. & that 9.10 has only just been released nearly 3 days ago LOL are people thick or stupid or smoking the draw

what does get to me tho, is people complaining about the colors of Ubuntu, when it was orange, crap I'm going back to windows vista & now brown (I like it) but some things I've heard like it looks to much like the stuff what comes out of my ar**e, I've been using ubuntu from Warty Warthog 4.10 dual booting with windows but didn't get into ubuntu fully till Breezy Badger 5.10 full time & now I love it, every release just gets better & better & karmic 9.10 is the best 1 I feel, up to now, roll on 10.4 Lucid lynx, ubuntu is going to rock
    Desktop : Self built I7 quad core 3.2 based system

Laptop : MSI wind U100

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by issih View Post
    Happens every single release...
    . It works differently for different people.

Blog | I'm available for programming contributions. C & Python.
    Intel Core i7 920 | EVGA x58 SLI | NVidia GeForce 8600 GT | WD 500GB HDD | Corsair XMS3 3GB | Ubuntu 9.04

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by OutOfReach View Post
    . It works differently for different people.
    dah...which was my point exactly :s

Beans
    Hidden!

You bash Windows left and right, but DON'T BASH UBUNTU, people worked very hard on it, and it hurts its image.

/facepalm

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Frak View Post
    You bash Windows left and right, but DON'T BASH UBUNTU, people worked very hard on it, and it hurts its image.

/facepalm
    Bash Opera, but not Firefox

Beans
    Hidden!

I use bash all the time in 9.10, used it in 9.04, 8.10, 8.04 on back. It's terribly useful, why would I stop?
    Jill has left these forums due to ongoing double-standards in rule enforcement.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast