Thread: Finding apps after a fresh install

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Finding apps after a fresh install

Hi,

I was introducing Ubuntu to a coworker today, after a lot of complaining about viruses on her part and a few hints on mine. I used a live CD on one of our computers, and guided her through the basics. She was very impressed and eager to further try it when she got home.

There was one thing, though. When I was telling her how easy it was to install software, I opened the software center and searched the word "amule". Instead of showing me the app and giving me the option to install it, the software center told me there were no candidates or something of sorts.

So, I take it after a fresh install you have to refresh your repository info before actually searching for any program. But the software center does not let you do that and software sources does not seem to give you any obvious way either. I want to give my workmate an uncomplicated way to do it on her own, but... is there one at all?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Finding apps after a fresh install

You need to open system>admin>software sources and tick the first 4 under ubuntu software, and tick the partner repo under third party software.

Then of course you will need to do the RestrictedFormats and Medibuntu dance. Links below. Seems a faff but its the legal stuff.

http://www.medibuntu.org/

Maybe you need to explain that this is a one off exercise.

Beans
    Distro

i believe amule is in the universe repos, which will need to be enabled in software sources....and yeah, it is fairly uncomplicated:

go to system > administration > software sources

under the "ubuntu software" tab...put a chcek next to the first 4 choices (main - universe - resrticted - multiverse), then click "close"

you will see a warning that the repos are out of date and need to be reloaded. click the "reload" button and when it completes, you should be able to find amule in the software center.

hope that helps.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Thanks guys, that's what I thought she would have to do. I still think it can be confusing for a total newbie, but what can you do...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by Bou View Post
    Thanks guys, that's what I thought she would have to do. I still think it can be confusing for a total newbie, but what can you do...
    Another easy way is the website: http://getdeb.net

Has a lot of popular software with easy to download .deb files, which should be pretty easy for a newcomer.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity — in all this vastness — there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves.
    -Carl Sagan

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Also, when Ubuntu software Center is open, go to View and make sure 'All Applications' is selected.
    (Was)Windows Free At Last
    "May You Have A Safe Trip and A Successful Journey"
    Linux user #432153 Ubuntu user #8521

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by celtic426 View Post
    Another easy way is the website: http://getdeb.net

Has a lot of popular software with easy to download .deb files, which should be pretty easy for a newcomer.
    Is there a way i can just add the entire getdeb to my software repo in intrepid/jaunty/whatever and how?

I am looking for a repo similar to Suse`s packman (3rd party heaven) but for ubuntu.
    Last edited by ingeon; November 12th, 2009 at 01:11 PM.