Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Program that logs changes I make in config files?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Question Program that logs changes I make in config files?

Hey everyone,

Is there a program out there for ubuntu that will log any changes I make to config files?

When tweaking around with Ubuntu, we all sometimes end up making an undesirable change to a config file, then we forget which file we changed (well, I do, anyway!)

If there's a program out there for this, it would reduce the need to reinstall the entire OS if I end up making a bad change to the wrong file.

Thanks!
    "Be who you are and say what you feel because those that mind don't matter and those that matter don't mind."
    Ubuntu Registered User #29486

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Program that logs changes I make in config files?

I **ALWAYS** make a .BACKUP copy of ANY config file I change
    cp foobar.config foobar.config.backup

Then, if anything goes bang, restore the .backup
    rm foobar.config
    cp foobar.config.backup foobar.config

I don't think there's an app that manages things like that though; after all, there's so many of the damned things and they're all over the file-system it would be a nightmare to track. Plus, if you trash your PC, how are you going to run the app to see what it was you changed and when, that trashed it?

It's not just about "Why should I want Linux?". It's also about "Why should Linux want me?"

Beans
    Distro

well, if the app stored the recent changes to config files in a log file, you could access the log file from the shell in recovery console.

the log file would be stored in the /home/user/ folder and it would say something like this:

10-20-2009 3:00PM: Change in file /etc/init.d/rc
    Line 43 Characters 13-26
    Before change: "start gdm=1"
    After change: "start gdm=0"

^ eh, something like that!
    That way, you could just sudo nano /etc/init.d/rc from the shell and correct the bad change.

Of course, I'm probably just dreaming.
    maybe such program doesnt exist for novice unix users like me.

couldn't help but wonder though.
    "Be who you are and say what you feel because those that mind don't matter and those that matter don't mind."

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

I think Ubuntu really needs a system restore like program. Last week I made a minor change and caused a big mess.

Beans
    Distro

I'm not trying to say to everyone out there not to backup your config files. You can and you should! 8)

My point is, sometimes when more than one config file is changed, I'll forget where each config file is located. So even though I did make a backup of each config file changed, I don't remember the names of all of them or where each one is on the file system.

Sorry, just thought I'd clarify. Sometimes making backups isn't enough for people like me.
    Last edited by asuastrophysics; October 20th, 2009 at 08:42 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Gedit will always save a backup as filename~. Wanna revert your changes? `mv filename~ filename`. I'm sure plenty of other text editors have similar features.

To parrot the above: backups, backups, and more backups.

Quote Originally Posted by asuastrophysics View Post
    My point is, sometimes when more than one change is made, I'll forget where each config file is located.
    Remember the name of the file? Use 'locate' to find it. Don't remember the name exactly? Your text editor likely has a history.

Hmmmm, I suppose a versioning system like git could be used here. Create a local only repository somewhere in your home directory, let's say its $HOME/git/sysfiles. Then make a script like so:
    Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    GITREPO=$HOME/git/sysfiles
    gedit $1 #or whatever other editor you want
    #make your changes, save the file... when the exit your editor, the next lines execute...
    cp $1 $GITREPO
    git add $1
    git commit -a -m "Changes to $1"
    Call the script something like sysedit.sh and use it to edit a file that you're interested in tracking. It would need some more fleshing out (error checking and whatnot), which I could probably do if there's interest...

With this, you can use 'git log' to see changes that have been made with a date and timestamp, and you'll be able to roll back to each commit if you need to grab an old config.
    Last edited by falconindy; October 20th, 2009 at 08:52 PM. Reason: suggestion about git

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by falconindy View Post
    Gedit will always save a backup as filename~. Wanna revert your changes? `mv filename~ filename`. I'm sure plenty of other text editors have similar features.

To parrot the above: backups, backups, and more backups.

Remember the name of the file? Use 'locate' to find it. Don't remember the name exactly? Your text editor likely has a history.
    That is a very good point, I didn't think to look in the recent documents section.

Beans

I think this is an excellent thought..

Whilst it is true that various editors provide automated backups of the last change made, that really is not enough when messing with config files, a properly audited change log is a much better idea. More importantly the onus should be on the OS to protect its configuration rather than individual editing applications. Secondarily having an OS that automatically protects the user against common errors (like not backing up config files) is progress, because even the most advanced user will eventually hack something in an ill-advised rush and bork it, I know I have.

It really shouldn't be too hard to create a little monitoring system that would do this, in fact I may look into it. Doing it properly in a scalable and efficient manner may be a lot harder, but to my mind it is a really really good idea, especially if reverting changes is made simple and foolproof.

For example if the sources file is bust you can just offer to revert the last change until it works again.

Beans
    Distro

Haha, if we end up implementing this, developing time for the upcoming releases of Ubuntu could be shortened, as developers could just rollback changes if the ones they made didn't work as well.

Playing around with the OS could become a whole lot friendlier.

Beans

I don't know about that...source code management is a smidge more involved especially in a multi developer environment, and there are several (very complex) applications that do that job already.

This would be a quite basic little tool, with admittedly similar goals.

I'm thinking of throwing something crude together using fsniper, diff and patch, but I really should be doing other things, so it may well not get done for a while.

In better circumstances a simple cli app should only take a few days to throw together, although honing it into something actually useful would obviously take a fair bit longer.

I'm considering storing the current version of a file and successive patch files which can be applied sequentially to revert back to previous versions. Doing it this way, more recent changes will be faster to access than old ones, which seems better.

Initially I'll probably just store the files in a directory, but really they ought to be in a database or at least a compressed archive. For a first pass though the config files and diff files (being plain text) are probably small enough to just store as they are.

One advantage of a simple directory structure is that "find" could be used along with the modification time to form a rudimentary system restore feature very easily.

I'm in fact envisioning that a lot of this could just be shell scripts.

anyway as I say, won't happen for some time, but its definitely achievable.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast