Thread: Music Monkey Alternative

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Music Monkey Alternative

Hello all,
    I thought I would pass on the information I found a very interesting media player and I am trying it out and it reminds me of Music Monkey which was the only program I hated to leave behind when I switched from Windows. The program I recommend is ATunes http://www.atunes.org/
    Thanks
    Nick

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Arrow Re: Music Monkey Alternative

Ok....but it built on java.....and looking crappyyyyyyyyyyy.....

Songbird is worthfull alternative.....check it http://getsongbird.com/
    --- I am what I am because of what we all are ----

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet

Re: Music Monkey Alternative

Quote Originally Posted by vinutux View Post
    Ok....but it built on java.....and looking crappyyyyyyyyyyy.....

Songbird is worthfull alternative.....check it http://getsongbird.com/
    Songbird is pretty decent. aTunes has a horrid interface, really unusable. Thanks for the reference anyway.
    Registered Linux user #436067
    Registered Ubuntu user #29066
    -----------------------------
    Linux assumes you know exactly what you are doing.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I hate or just dislike ALL the ones I've tried (Amarok, Songbird, Rhythmbox, gmusicplayer, Listen, others I've forgotten).
    Songbird prob. looks the best but caused the most egregious problems (lost data, the ultimate crime)

(I do use Audacious for quickly playing 1 or 2 tracks, as a basic Winamp alternative.)

So I still use the Monkey in Wine. There's a good setup page over on MM's forums. I was able to follow it without knowing what I was doing.

MM ran fine in Intrepid, but the screen refresh was problem.
    Installed Karmic 2 days ago, and MM is much faster and didn't have to do any changes.

I have the full miniplayer applet control also, with next song updates in the new Notify panel. Cool.

Go Monkey.
    Donal
    Ireland
    Registered Linux User #477443

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Donalb View Post
    I hate or just dislike ALL the ones I've tried (Amarok, Songbird, Rhythmbox, gmusicplayer, Listen, others I've forgotten).....
    Give Exaile a try if you haven't. I love it and have not had any issues in Karmic. Fast on scanning your collection, too. I have 139,000 .mp3 files separated by artist/album/genre on 2 different external drives. Exaile took about 20 minutes to scan and where Amarok and Rhythmbox each took more than 11 hours.
    Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without Music, Life Would Be A Mistake" - So, what album are you NOW PLAYING?

My Last.FM | My Original Music at Jamendo

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Arrow Re: Music Monkey Alternative

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Spellbinder View Post
    Give Exaile a try if you haven't. I love it and have not had any issues in Karmic. Fast on scanning your collection, too. I have 139,000 .mp3 files separated by artist/album/genre on 2 different external drives. Exaile took about 20 minutes to scan and where Amarok and Rhythmbox each took more than 11 hours.
    +1 exaile is gr8 in karmic
    --- I am what I am because of what we all are ----

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Exaile is one of the ones I tried & forgot.It was just "blah", nothing memorable.
    I can't understand why Rhythmbox is standard in Karmic, since it's now a dead app. But then this an area where Linux lags, like a robust Backup app also.
    (No I didn't ever use or mean iTunes, which I also hated).

Time scanning my collection is not a problem.
    After 10 years digital music, I keep my collection to less than 30 gig. (Enough to fit it all on an Iomega Rev 35g Backup Cartridge)
    If I get above that, I have a look and delete, because there'll be something I find I never listen to.
    In the end there's about 1000 tracks I listen to all the time.
    I can't conceive of having 100k tracks. My brain is obviously too small.

Banshee is alright. Fast enough to scan my medium collection, easy to put a quick playlist together. But I still prefer MM in Wine.
    Donal
    Ireland
    Registered Linux User #477443