Page 49 of 543 FirstFirst ... 3947484950515999149 ... LastLast

Thread: Guide to Get the Best Performace from the GMA 500

Beans

Re: Guide to Get the Best Performace from the GMA 500

Quote Originally Posted by nicodds View Post
    Well, I'm happy you found your way!
    Maybe you will find it too and stop working as an unpaid beta tester for Stallman and Shuttleworth.

Just go to the start of your path and have a look: Ubuntu is mostly garbage, and the only reason you are using it is because Stallman's minions have brainwashed you into thinking that proprietary software = evil.

With proprietary software out of the way, what you are basically left with is open source, and, if you want open source to work, you must work as an unpaid beta tester for it, and even code for it

It's their way of recruiting people as unpaid beta testers and programmers, and then have those people work on their codebase for free.

Then, Shuttleworth makes millions of $$$es by selling support contracts, and Stallman makes even more million $$$es by selling licenses to companies that "didn't comply with the GPL". And all you got is an OS that can't even work with onboard graphics.

I came to this forum from some other forum (out of curiosity) and I can't believe you are spending so much time to help an OS like ubuntu. Just add up all the time you have wasted on this thing, and you could have gotten a job, pilled up a nice heap of 220$, quit the job, buy an OS that works, and live happily ever after.
    Last edited by kurkosdr; April 30th, 2010 at 11:49 PM.

Beans

Kurkosdr, if you're not happy with the OS, go back to Windows. Nobody here is going to think 'less' of you for it. The point of using open source software is the freedom to find the software that suits you. Using something proprietary such as Windows or Mac OS, you get the safety of knowing that your hardware is likely to work because the developers of the hardware have a priority to write drivers for those operating systems. The fault here is with Canonical just as much as it is with Intel. The driver does not work with the newer X server version. Canonical chose a newer x server version likely for increased performance, stability, and features. Things are going to break here and there. It is not Canonical's responsibility to maintain the Poulsbo driver, which is Intel software. That responsibility is Intel's, just as it is their responsibility to update the drivers with a new release of any other operating system.

The people here are here by choice. They know the risks, they know the benefits. If you don't like them, nobody is forcing you to stay.

Choose the operating system that suits you best.

-Wynter Woods

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by zerotri View Post
    Kurkosdr, if you're not happy with the OS, go back to Windows. Nobody here is going to think 'less' of you for it. The point of using open source software is the freedom to find the software that suits you. Using something proprietary such as Windows or Mac OS, you get the safety of knowing that your hardware is likely to work because the developers of the hardware have a priority to write drivers for those operating systems. The fault here is with Canonical just as much as it is with Intel. The driver does not work with the newer X server version. Canonical chose a newer x server version likely for increased performance, stability, and features. Things are going to break here and there. It is not Canonical's responsibility to maintain the Poulsbo driver, which is Intel software. That responsibility is Intel's, just as it is their responsibility to update the drivers with a new release of any other operating system.

The people here are here by choice. They know the risks, they know the benefits. If you don't like them, nobody is forcing you to stay.

Choose the operating system that suits you best.

-Wynter Woods
    Yes Canonical chose to go with the latest X-Org, but so has Mandriva and they have Poulsbo working, so what are they doing that Micro... thats force of habit, Canonical aren't doing?
    On the subject of it being down to Intel, I wrote a message on the Intel Forums about a new driver and I got a sarcastic reply saying that it was down to the Distro (Canonical) to get it working as they said there is a driver, the IEGD one.

There are hundreds maybe thousands of Netbook users that have the Poulsbo Chipset, chomping at the bits to use either Ubuntu 10.04 Desktop or the Netbook Remix and they can't because of this oversight. It's a mixture of the 2 companies, but surely the current drivers can be made to work in 10.04?

I for one will not be going back to Windows (Virus Magnet), I'll stick with 9.10 till April next year, and if nothing has been done to rectify the problem that other Distro's have managed to cure, I shall go onto one of those. As you say "FREEDOM OF CHOICE!!"

Beans

Keeping my fingers crossed that someone finds a fix for this

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Well, we are stuck now trying to find what is different between Mandriva and Ubuntu implementations that is making DRI not work, even if the module is loaded.
    It's almost there...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Nice one! Will keep watching to see the outcome.
    I just cannot believe some of the comments that have been banded about, it reminds me of the good old days of the Atari ST and Amiga Users all bitching at one another! I always said to them, and it still goes now, If we all used the same machines, the same OS's DAMN THE WORLD WOULD BE A BORING PLACE!!
    I chose Linux after 15yrs of using Microsoft products, and I got bored of being told what I can and can't do, Linux has opened my eyes to a more Free world, and I am not going back!

I have faith that this problem will be solved.....

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by m0dcm View Post
    Yes Canonical chose to go with the latest X-Org, but so has Mandriva and they have Poulsbo working, so what are they doing that Micro... thats force of habit, Canonical aren't doing? ...
    Seems like a deja vu. http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...87&postcount=4
    The official release notes of the latest Mandriva do not mention gma500.
    http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/2010.1_Beta2
    Have you tested the beta2 (released today) to verify that it works with Poulsbo?
    Last edited by mikewhatever; May 1st, 2010 at 05:59 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Mike, the difference is that Mandriva has xorg 1.7.x, has the packages in the cooker, and Lucazade and I have almost had success porting their patches to lucid. If you want to help, you're welcome.

Beans

Dam, you guys are amazing.

To me this is all just magic, one second it doesn't work, next second you put up a guide and my comp works. How the hell do you manage this magic, on second thoughts don't tell me it would ruin the magic.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mikewhatever View Post
    The official release notes of the latest Mandriva do not mention gma500.
    http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/2010.1_Beta2
    Have you tested the beta2 (released today) to verify that it works with Poulsbo?
    The Mandriva 2010.1 beta 2 released yesterday is the Free version, which, I belive, do not include proprietary drivers. Beta 2 of Mandriva One (with proprietary drivers) will be released on 3 of May. I'm hoping that release will have poulsbo support, since Blino have reported success in fixing these drivers:
    http://blino.org/blog/mandriva/poulsbo-xserver1.7.html

/ Anfanglir

Page 49 of 543 FirstFirst ... 3947484950515999149 ... LastLast