Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: A non-traditional question to women ...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

A non-traditional question to women ...

First, about me. I'm 20 and male and a college student. I am getting a laptop very soon. Of course, I kinda liked GNOME (even though I think KDE is more polished, but GNOME comes with less things that I will never use).

I started thinking of how to make the GNOME desktop and such look nice. Then it came to the topic of the wallpaper. From my nature, I want to have a pretty woman on it ... that got me thinking in term to what do women want displayed on their desktop ...

I know for sure that men without an interest into one particular field don't mind 3 things:
    -Hot women (models, actresses, girlfriends, wives, etc.)
    -Cars (I am partial to the Mini Cooper since finding parking with it seems easy. )
    -BFG (Big ... Guns, again, I am partial to the Barrel M82A )

But the question remains ... what do women want to stare at (or show off?) on their desktop without many apps running on it?

I was also thinking, what about a 'Ubuntu Beautification Project' which involves creating GNOME Themes (most likely based on the ones available at gnome-look.org) or GDM themes or Ubuntu Splash Screens or some such.

Let's make Ubuntu not only a 'Linux for Human Beings' but also 'Linux for Men and Women' ... do the same for kids? (I'm sure they don't mind Spongebob or Fairly Odd Parents).

PS: Ubuntu needs to be a 'Linux for People' ... people don't like the ugly default GNOME. (By 'people' (all lower case) I mean myself).

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: A non-traditional question to women ...

Quote Originally Posted by slavik
    I know for sure that men without an interest into one particular field don't mind 3 things:
    -Cars (I am partial to the Mini Cooper since finding parking with it seems easy. )
    I realize you're talking about typical men, but I just wanted to point out that I don't fit into your characterization of men at all. I consider my wife hot, but I still put a picture of our cat on the desktop, and I couldn't care less about cars or guns... and definitely would not put them on my desktop. Again, maybe I'm atypical, but...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I said that you 'wouldn't mind'. (not to be confused with 'prefer')

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by slavik
    I said that you 'wouldn't mind'. (not to be confused with 'prefer')
    I actually would mind, though. I realize most men wouldn't, though--I'll concede as much.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Alright.

I shall start of by classifying myself as a 'non-standard' woman (I could not care less for Tom Cruise on the desktop for example).

What do I use for wallpaper? I've had many a fantasy oriented wallpaper (unicrons mostly), I've used holiday snaps of myself or my (now sadly ex-)boyfriend, or landscape images that i like.

Beans

i find that comment to be incredibly sexist and offensive. Most men i know (including myself) would be very offended by all 3 of those things, especially the objectification of womyn.

maybe you should consider avoiding stereotypes and such broad generalizations

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Syntax13
    i find that comment to be incredibly sexist and offensive. Most men i know (including myself) would be very offended by all 3 of those things, especially the objectification of womyn.

maybe you should consider avoiding stereotypes and such broad generalizations
    To defend the thread author. I don't think he ment it to generalize all. Rater that most men like these things. I for one do like classy chick pictures on the desktop aswell as cars. When I think about it I believe about 90% of the guys I know like these kind of pictures/backgrouds.

To bad you couldn't see the humor in the post.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by strips
    To bad you couldn't see the humor in the post.
    The original post was intended to be funny?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I have a horizontal light-blue to dark-blue gradient on my desktop... so what gender does that make me?

But onto seriousness now: My sister would probably have a Claude Monet as her desktop picture, if she had a computer. Or possibly a real photo of a beautiful landscape.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Cool thread....I've never even seen this section of the forum before.

Right now I have a beautiful pic of African landscape from http://interfacelift.com I can't pimp that site enough. Just beautiful, unbranded, high resolution wallpapers (1920x1200 wide here) all free for the taking. I've also been known to have pics of cars (Honda S2000, I WANT!!) and my boyfriend.

I'm a 19 yr old male that can't wait for college to be over.

Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast