View Poll Results: Do you use Compiz?

Voters
431. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes. All the time.

242 56.15%
  • No. (including manually turning it off when starting a game/ movie, etc)

131 30.39%
  • I use other compositing engine (metacity, kwin, xcompmgr, etc)

58 13.46%
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Thread: Do you still use Compiz?

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Do you still use Compiz?

If I enable Visual Effects, it kills my VirtualBox. I can either have one or the other, not both.

Ubuntu 8.04.3 and VirtualBox 3.0.6
    Reminder: If you start a thread asking for help with a problem, please remember to use the Thread Tools to mark the issue as "SOLVED" once you have a solution. This will help other people with the same problem when they search for answers.

Beans

I don't even use transparent terminals. I don't need fancy effects to make my computer experience enjoyable.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by MoebusNet View Post
    If I enable Visual Effects, it kills my VirtualBox. I can either have one or the other, not both.

Ubuntu 8.04.3 and VirtualBox 3.0.6
    Are you trying to use Compiz in the guest or in the host system? I don't think it would work on the guest.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I actually use compiz to switch between windows with the scale plugin. I set 3 of my screen corners to activate scale on mouseover and removed the bottom panel as its rendered obsolete by this. Also I use expo extensively for workspace switching. Compiz really improves the efficiency regarding this. The eye candy is a bonus.
    On a whole, I think compiz is really much more useful than a vocal minority make it out to be. The poll attests to this. OP has attempted to divert votes to non-compiz choices via the request to choose no if you want to use compiz but is unable to do so or if you have to turn it off when you play games. Even if the voters use compiz all other time, they have to choose no. But the results speak for themselves.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by mangar View Post
    I have a gut feeling that most users turn off Compiz after a while,
    because it's slow, buggy, and unstable.

Gut feeling are worthless beyond 80's movies, so lets collects some data.

Please Vote!

Clarification:
    The reason is not as important as the outcome - if you want to use Compiz but can't, it's still a No..
    Long as you use the drivers directly from AMD/ATIs or nVidias websites compiz fusion works rock solid. If your a retard and tries to use the drivers that comes with Ubuntu to run CF, then expect instability out the rear..
    Linux User: 380654
    CIW Certified Internet Web Professional: 435668

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

In hardy heron, i can use compiz just fine. even with movies using xine in auto and smplayer in gl mode. NO tearing no problems at all

gaming such as etqw, i have a script that auto disables and loads compiz. Everything is seemless for me since I take a bit of time making it work so I end up having a better using expirience.

Kwin slows down gaming as well. so this thread should not specifically mean compiz but should mean 3d accelerated compositing...or something.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Exodist View Post
    Long as you use the drivers directly from AMD/ATIs or nVidias websites compiz fusion works rock solid. If your a retard and tries[/b] to use the drivers that comes with Ubuntu to run CF, then expect instability out the rear..
    Just a few errors pointed out; please don't throw around the word 'retard' in such a context unless you are far from it.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by danielrmt View Post
    Are you trying to use Compiz in the guest or in the host system? I don't think it would work on the guest.
    If I enable System>Preferences>Appearance>Visual Effects>[Normal or Extra] in my host (Ubuntu 8.04.3) then none of my Ubuntu OS's in VirtualBox 3.0.6 will boot up, but host desktop effects work well. If I select System>Preferences>Appearance>Visual Effects>None in my host, then the OS's in VBox boot & work normally.

As a separate issue, I haven't had any luck in getting any of the guest OS's to enable visual effects. They just throw an error message and go back to System>Preferences>Appearance>Visual Effects>None in the guest OS.
    Reminder: If you start a thread asking for help with a problem, please remember to use the Thread Tools to mark the issue as "SOLVED" once you have a solution. This will help other people with the same problem when they search for answers.

Beans
    Hidden!

Compiz has a few issues with some things, yeah. Blender, for example, is entirely unusable on my machine with Compiz rolling.

Fortunately with Fusion Icon I can just right-click -> select Openbox and do what I need quickly.
    Want me to punchisize your face, For free??

Beans
    Hidden!

@shafin, Cresho, Exodist
    I was trying to gauge the experience people had with Compiz.
    Having to do extra work (scripts, drivers, manually toggle a switch each time you want to play a game) to get a superficial thing like eye-candy working, means it actually reduces productivity and enjoyment, and as such, not usable.

30% (or 45%) is an extremely significant figure. Don't ignore it because it works for you.

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast