Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: installation: OS X + multi-linux

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: installation: OS X + multi-linux

Grub2-pc can even load linux kernels from hfsplus i.e. the Mac OSX partition, and speaks GPT but has bootcode still on the MBR,.
    The karmic grub2 packages <1.96+20090523-1ubuntu1_amd64.deb> are up to svn rev 2233 and look good. IDK which is the default install for karmic, just about to find out.
    EDIT:
    The alternate install amd64 installs grub-legacy, but the grub2 grub-pc package is easy to install and setup (it removes grub1). And it works (installed from sda8 to MBR and booting sda4...sda10).
    Last edited by pxwpxw; June 17th, 2009 at 01:24 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by pxwpxw View Post
    Grub2-pc can even load linux kernels from hfsplus i.e. the Mac OSX partition, and speaks GPT but has bootcode still on the MBR,.
    Does this mean we are still limited to the first four partitions when booting legacy mode?

The karmic grub2 packages <1.96+20090523-1ubuntu1_amd64.deb> are up to svn rev 2233 and look good. IDK which is the default install for karmic, just about to find out.
    I believe the plan is to make grub2 default in the final release.

The fact that it replaces Grub1 is interesting too. It used to install along side grub1 in previous editions, and it would leave a menu option to boot grub1.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by cyberdork33 View Post
    Does this mean we are still limited to the first four partitions when booting legacy mode?
    No, both grub1 and grub2 can boot linux kernel from any partition, but have the grub stage1 or grub2 boot.img on the MBR.

The fact that it replaces Grub1 is interesting too. It used to install along side grub1 in previous editions, and it would leave a menu option to boot grub1.
    It still does offer to leave grub1 for transition, I chose not to do that since I had no working grub1 at that stage.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

No, both grub1 and grub2 can boot linux kernel from any partition, but have the grub stage1 or grub2 boot.img on the MBR.
    Hmm interesting. I didn't know it was that specific. So you can theoretically put the stage files on the EFI partition and you can install Linux anywhere...?

It still does offer to leave grub1 for transition, I chose not to do that since I had no working grub1 at that stage.
    OK, interesting

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I have not tried it yet but there is some explanation about grub2 second stage = core.img, and possible locations in this interesting page in the grub wiki -

http://grub.enbug.org/BIOS_Boot_Partition

v41 is offline Just Give Me the Beans!
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thanks to CyberDork33, OS X + Intrepid + Jaunty is triple-booting bootylishiously with Refit & Grub

It sounds as though Grub (grub1) will soon be obsolete, but I'll nevertheless post a summary in case it is helpful. I began with a dual-boot OS X + Intrepid setup, and wanted to change it to triple-boot OS X + Intrepid + Jaunty.

(i) Setup the following partitions using GParted: (1) EFI/MBR (2) OS X (3) Intrepid (4) Jaunty (5) Swap

(ii) Update /etc/fstab on Intrepid to incorporate the new partitioning scheme. It makes use of UUID's which can be found by running,

sudo blkid

(iii) Install Jaunty.

(iv) To find where Grub is installed on the system, download and run the boot information script,

http://sourceforge.net/project/platf...roup_id=250055

We want one copy of Grub on the Intrepid partition, another copy on the Jaunty partition,
    and we do NOT want a copy on the EFI/MBR partition.

If Grub is not installed on Intrepid, then install it as shown here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...3&postcount=11

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=224351

Ditto for Jaunty.

If Grub is installed on the EFI/MBR partition, then delete it as shown here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=811240

(v) Upon rebooting and entering the REFIT menu, select the "sync the partition table" option.

Many thanks to CyberDork33 who wrote several of the above guides.
    macbook-4.1, OS-X.6 + Ubuntu-10.04 64-bit

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12