Thread: Trying to install Jaunty lpia on eee PC 1000h

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Trying to install Jaunty lpia on eee PC 1000h

I'm trying to install Jaunty alternate lpia iso on my eee PC 1000h and it just won't work. When I begin to install it gives me the familiar "No common CD-ROM drive was detected." After a lot of googling and searching ubuntuforums, I've managed to discover that the bug is fixed. However, I'm stilling having the problem, even with a freshly downloaded .iso. What is going on? Can anyone help, or maybe delete all the threads saying the bug is "fixed?"

Beans

Re: Trying to install Jaunty lpia on eee PC 1000h

I am having the same problem.

I am trying to use a eee as an ubuntu server.

I downloaded the 32-bit ubuntu server installer and used the usb-creator tool (built into ubuntu) to tansfer the image to a usb drive.

The problem is, it keeps asking for a cd-rom. The problem is, the machine has no cd-rom.

I have successfully installed ubuntu on a eee before using the same method, but with the graphical installer (live-cd). Is it something specific about the text-based one?

I tried droping to a shell and running:
    mount /dev/sdb1 /cdrom

but then when I continue the install, I get "Failed to copy file from CD-ROM. Retry?"

If anyone has any ideas, It would be greatly appreciated

Beans
    Hidden!

This thread, although not specifically related to the eee, indicates that there is a problem putting an ISO on a USB thumb drive that requires the Jaunty version of usb-creator. It doesn't specifically say what the problem is, though, so I don't know if he's referring to the issue you're experiencing with the eee. Nevetheless, it may be worth a look.

Beans

Well, I never got the server edition to install, but if you remove "persistent" from the boot options, you can install the desktop version just fine.

-Boot from usb
    -Select Language
    -Hit F6
    -use left-arrow key, then backspace to remove "persistent" from the line at the bottom