Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Updated connecting to windows network shares fix 9.04

Beans

Updated connecting to windows network shares fix 9.04

Sorry people,

Following on from the instructions I put in http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1134738

I have done this on 3 fresh installs of Ubuntu 9.04 which have been unable to browse or connect to Windows network shares.

You need to install winbind too.

So new instructions are:

Install winbind

sudo apt-get install winbind
    Edit /etc/nsswitch.conf

sudo gedit /etc/nsswitch.conf

Look for the line...

hosts: files (etc)

If yours is like mine was when it didn't work, it'll read something like:

hosts: files mdns4_minimal [NOTFOUND=return] dns mdns4

..although what is there will vary but files and dns will be there.
    What is missing is an entry for wins.

You need to add wins after files so it looks like (alter as required):

hosts: files wins mdns4_minimal [NOTFOUND=return] dns mdns4

Save the file and reboot.

Please post your findings.

Beans

Re: Updated connecting to windows network shares fix 9.04

Thanks!

I was having the same problem and that fixed it.

Beans

Thank you very much for the tips. I successfully found the Windows shares. I have another problem. I installed winbind with a wired connection. After unhooking the wired ethernet cable and activating the wireless connection, the internet works but my network Windows shares no longer appear. How do I configure winbind to access both wired and/or wireless, depending on which one is active?

Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Dumb question probably: Should the steps you outline (installing windbind etc) be done on the server or the client?
    I pity the fool.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Smile Re: Updated connecting to windows network shares fix 9.04

Thanks for that!

You have just made my life MUCH easier!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Exclamation Re: Updated connecting to windows network shares fix 9.04

I used several "solutions" including this one and all i got was i saw my own computer and print$ folder, i used the work around for accessing files over the network using IP address and its working fine, BUT its a different story in printing. network printers can be installed using static ip address of the print server using the appsocket/hp jetdirect option in add network printers tree ie 192.168.0.11 as the host and the default 9100 as the port number. but keeps on saying that the printer might not be connected. this is maybe due to the issue that i cannot see other computers over the network - file browser window.

Im in a office network having several domains and several computers connected to it windows xp/98 workstations.the print server im trying to connect to is windows 98 and it worked fine on ubuntu 8.04 printer is hp 1020.

please take note. that in ubuntu 8.04 there are NO problems with windows network file/printer sharing. i just got these errors when i upgraded to 9.04. im new with ubuntu please help.

And please dont tell me to stick to ubuntu 8.04

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy9pints View Post
    Dumb question probably: Should the steps you outline (installing windbind etc) be done on the server or the client?
    My chance to start the day by being wrong...
    The service provided by winbindd is called `winbind' and can be used to resolve user and group information from a Windows NT server
    This definition references a Windows server - which suggests it goes on the client.
    Linux User #415691 Ubuntu User #8629
    Iowa Team (LoCo): [Wiki] [Launchpad]
    IRC channel: #ubuntu-us-ia on irc.freenode.net

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by conorturton View Post
    Install winbind
    Edit /etc/nsswitch.conf
    Save the file and reboot.

Please post your findings.
    no luck.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy9pints View Post
    Everything is done on the client.

Point to note:

If you're using aMSN, if you install winbind then aMSN crashes as soon as you try to connect to anything.

Pidgin works fine still.

If someone knows how to configure networking so that winbind only works on local addresses then that will solve this issue.
    Last edited by conorturton; April 30th, 2009 at 01:49 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by jcomaling View Post
    I used several "solutions" including this one and all i got was i saw my own computer and print$ folder, i used the work around for accessing files over the network using IP address and its working fine, BUT its a different story in printing. network printers can be installed using static ip address of the print server using the appsocket/hp jetdirect option in add network printers tree ie 192.168.0.11 as the host and the default 9100 as the port number. but keeps on saying that the printer might not be connected. this is maybe due to the issue that i cannot see other computers over the network - file browser window.

Im in a office network having several domains and several computers connected to it windows xp/98 workstations.the print server im trying to connect to is windows 98 and it worked fine on ubuntu 8.04 printer is hp 1020.

please take note. that in ubuntu 8.04 there are NO problems with windows network file/printer sharing. i just got these errors when i upgraded to 9.04. im new with ubuntu please help.

And please dont tell me to stick to ubuntu 8.04
    I got the same network printing problem, and the workaround http://ubuntu-install.blogspot.com/2008/11/use-printserver-in-ubuntu-804-hardy.html that worked for me in 8.04 doesn't work in 9.04. The network printer works fine in 8.10.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast