Thread: HP Recovery discs + VirtualBox

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

HP Recovery discs + VirtualBox

Hi all,
    I want to install Vista (sorry...need iTunes) through VirtualBox but when i bought the laptop I got to create the recovery discs. Vista was not given to me as separate independent discs.
    The problem is that they embedded in the discs the bios info in order to avoid duplicate installations so when trying to install it though VB I get a message that says something like
    This PC is not supported by the System recovery discs
    Is there anything I can do or should I start complaining to HP's service?

Regards
    Real life is more important...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: HP Recovery discs + VirtualBox

Technically you can't use those. First and foremost, the recovery discs are dependant on the hardware you physically have, virtualbox emulates a lot of hardware so they're not compatible even though you installed it on the same computer.

There are also licensing issues, an OEM image is only meant to be used on one computer, and when the computer dies, the license dies with it.

If it's Vista Basic, Premium or Ultimate, you are not allowed to use it on a virtual machine even if you purchased a full version, only Vista Business is allowed to be used on virtual hardware. (might be wrong about ultimate)

Of course, if a friend of you have an original Vista disc (these are just spare parts, all versions are on one disc and no license issues from borrowing a disc if you own the license) and you use the license key from your own computer, it would work just fine. But then there's the licensing issue if it's OEM or not Vista Business.

Most likely you would violate their EULA somehow, except if you have a full version of Vista Business.

Open source has it's advantages over the licensing he¤l of Microsoft

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Thanx for your answer. I totally agree. Things like this make you appreciate the open source idea.

I got in contact with hp and I told them the fact. They said that they understand my problem but it has never happened to them again so...

Anyway, stupid idea to get an iPhone because this is the only reason I wanted vista installed (iTunes). I suppose I will have to wait my guarantee to expire in order to jailbreak it and use it the way I want.

Thanx again for your time,

regards
    Real life is more important...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

No problem

Looks like it might be possible if you have iphone firmware 2.x

I don't have an iPhone though, so I wouldn't take my word for it