Thread: PowerPC download Woes

Beans

PowerPC download Woes

Problem: I don't know how to install ubuntu on my PowerPc G4. From what I have read, I know that it is possible. I have followed the links found on wiki.ubuntu.powerpc. From there, however, I only see a place to download an alternative or server version. What I would like is a nice desktop addition.

Can I do this? If so, can someone please tell me how?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: PowerPC download Woes

Read the sticky threads!
    PowerMac G5 Debian Squeeze - MacOSX Leopard / Lenovo 3000 N200 Debian Wheezy
    PowerPCFAQ, PowerPCKnownIssues, Booting the Installer on PowerPC, Yaboot - How to configure the PPC Bootloader

Beans

Thank you! I'll be reading. From what I can see, I need to download the alternative-powerpc.iso. From there, burn a cd, then follow the troubleshooting instructions.

Beans
    Distro

If you prefer a LiveCD, you can download Ubuntu Hardy (8.04)
    It depends also on your hardware. How much RAM do you have, which model is your PowerMac?
    PowerPCFAQ, PowerPCKnownIssues, Booting the Installer on PowerPC, Yaboot - How to configure the PPC Bootloader

Beans

processor: 1.33 GHz PowerPC G4
    memory: 512

Beans
    Distro

Are you planning to dualboot with MacOSX?

Beans

You know, I really like ubuntu. I installed it on an hp Pav. and love its useability. The PowerPC I've had for a while sitting in the tarturus of my closet. So, I gues, unless it's not advisible, I was thinking of installing ubuntu and erasing mac os x.

Beans
    Distro

Ok, it is very easy. Use the LiveCD or the alternate Installer, according to your needs. If you have problems after installing (you get a black screen after the first yaboot prompt), type at the first yaboot prompt 'Linux video=ofonly' and you may need to edit your xorg.conf
    Let us know

Beans

Thank you very much for the help!