Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: limited connection to internet

Beans

Re: limited connection to internet

Hello joe. Network manager applet? Under System--> Admin I've got two networking tools. The first Network Settings shows only automatic configuration for dhcp the IP field is blank and the second Devices Network Tools shows an IP address of 192.168.0.2. And I'm online at the moment.

I'll now recreate the problem and see if this is still the case...

I can't get online now and Devices Network tools is no longer showing an IP address.In the field for IP address it is showing a long hexadecimal number.

I'll fiddle ( enter sudo dhclient ) which has always enabled me to get an IP address. And then I'll check Devices Network tools again to see if I get the IP address...

DHCPACK of 192.168.0.2 from 192.168.0.1
    bound to 192.168.0.2 -- renewal in 41252 seconds.
    pat@pat-desktop:~$

Yes, so that is the same IP address I get every time.

And, yes again in devices network tools I get an IP address of 192.168.0.2.

I'm guessing but the computer is getting the IP address under IPV4 when it can't do this it defaults to IPV6 which just shows the hexadecimal number.

Anyway, so what do I do now?
    I guess the routing table info. is not required at the moment?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

The Network Manager applet should be on the top of the screen, to the left of the clock. It should look like
    OR OR OR two computer monitors, one in front of the other.
    If you don't see it you can start it by pressing Alt + F2 to bring up the Run Application dialog and type in
    Code:
    nm-applet
    More helpful info at https://help.ubuntu.com/8.10/internet/C/connect.html

As for the hexidecimal IP address. You can disable IPv6 to see if that helps. Detailed instructions here; summary below.

This is the official way to disable IPv6.
    The instructions below is equivalent to that documented in Documentation for Ubuntu 8.04 LTS - 3. Wireless Networking - Troubleshooting:

1. Open up a terminal and type (it is recommended to copy-and-paste it instead):
    Code:
    sudo sed -i -e 's/alias net-pf-10 ipv6/#&\nalias net-pf-10 off/' /etc/modprobe.d/aliases
    The above command comments the original line (alias net-pf-10 ipv6) and adding the effective line (alias net-pf-10 off). You may use your favorite editor to achieve the same result, if you find that using sed does not meet your taste.

2. To restart your computer, type:
    Code:
    sudo reboot
    Last edited by joeashcraft; April 12th, 2009 at 04:26 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

You might try editing your /etc/network/interfaces file again and removing everything except the first two lines. Those two lines should be all you need. I had problems with an install before and that is what fixed it.
    Break it, fix it, learn something.
    People who never make mistakes seldom make anything!

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Miljet View Post
    You might try editing your /etc/network/interfaces file again and removing everything except the first two lines. Those two lines should be all you need. I had problems with an install before and that is what fixed it.
    I'd definitely try this first, it's much simpler

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Miljet View Post

That did not work. Thanks anyway.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by joeashcraft View Post
    The Network Manager applet should be on the top of the screen, to the left of the clock. It should look like
    OR OR OR two computer monitors, one in front of the other.
    If you don't see it you can start it by pressing Alt + F2 to bring up the Run Application dialog and type in
    Code:
    nm-applet
    More helpful info at https://help.ubuntu.com/8.10/internet/C/connect.html

As for the hexidecimal IP address. You can disable IPv6 to see if that helps. Detailed instructions here; summary below.

This is the official way to disable IPv6.
    The instructions below is equivalent to that documented in Documentation for Ubuntu 8.04 LTS - 3. Wireless Networking - Troubleshooting:

1. Open up a terminal and type (it is recommended to copy-and-paste it instead):
    Code:
    sudo sed -i -e 's/alias net-pf-10 ipv6/#&\nalias net-pf-10 off/' /etc/modprobe.d/aliases
    The above command comments the original line (alias net-pf-10 ipv6) and adding the effective line (alias net-pf-10 off). You may use your favorite editor to achieve the same result, if you find that using sed does not meet your taste.

2. To restart your computer, type:
    Code:
    sudo reboot

This is what I tried:

Here is what I tried to turn IPV6 off:
    ------------------------------------------------------------

pat@pat-desktop:~$ sudo sed -i -e 's/alias net-pf-10 ipv6/#&\nalias net-pf-10 off/' /etc/modprobe.d/aliases
    pat@pat-desktop:~$ sudo sed -i -e 's/alias net-pf-10 ipv6/#&\nalias net-pf-10 off/' /etc/modprobe.d/aliases
    pat@pat-desktop:~$ sudo gedit -i -e 's/alias net-pf-10 ipv6/#&\nalias net-pf-10 off/' /etc/modprobe.d/aliases
    Unknown option -i
    Run 'gedit --help' to see a full list of available command line options.
    pat@pat-desktop:~$ gedit --help
    Usage:
    gedit [OPTION...] [FILE...] - Edit text files

Help Options:
    -?, --help Show help options
    --help-all Show all help options
    --help-gtk Show GTK+ Options
    --help-bonobo-activation Show Bonobo Activation options
    --help-gnome Show GNOME options
    --help-gnome-session Show session management options

Application Options:
    --encoding=ENCODING Set the character encoding to be used to open the files listed on the command line
    --new-window Create a new toplevel window in an existing instance of gedit
    --new-document Create a new document in an existing instance of gedit
    --display=DISPLAY X display to use

pat@pat-desktop:~$ gksudo gedit -i -e 's/alias net-pf-10 ipv6/#&\nalias net-pf-10 off/' /etc/modprobe.d/aliases

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It created the following output in the file aliases. I'll post a bit of the file:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    # These are the standard aliases for devices and kernel drivers.
    # This file does not need to be modified.
    #
    # Please file a bug against module-init-tools if a package needs a entry
    # in this file.

# network protocols ################################################## ########
    alias net-pf-1 unix
    alias net-pf-2 ipv4
    alias net-pf-3 ax25
    alias net-pf-4 ipx
    alias net-pf-5 appletalk
    alias net-pf-6 netrom
    alias net-pf-7 bridge
    alias net-pf-8 atm
    alias net-pf-9 x25
    ##alias net-pf-10 ipv6
    alias net-pf-10 off
    alias net-pf-10 off
    a

----------------------------------------------------------------------

By the way the command to alter the file aliases seemed to hang so I cancelled it. But it looks like it has worked. I then saved the file.

I'll reboot now sudo reboot...

I could not get online. Had to type in the terminal as before sudo dhclient:

---------------------------------------------------------------
    pat@pat-desktop:~$ sudo dhclient
    There is already a pid file /var/run/dhclient.pid with pid 5904
    killed old client process, removed PID file
    Internet Systems Consortium DHCP Client V3.0.6
    Copyright 2004-2007 Internet Systems Consortium.
    All rights reserved.
    For info, please visit http://www.isc.org/sw/dhcp/

Listening on LPF/eth0/00:0f:1f:54:27:5e
    Sending on LPF/eth0/00:0f:1f:54:27:5e
    Sending on Socket/fallback
    DHCPREQUEST of 192.168.0.2 on eth0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67
    DHCPACK of 192.168.0.2 from 192.168.0.1
    bound to 192.168.0.2 -- renewal in 41320 seconds.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

I'll take a break now. I think I need to review the posts and read some of the links in more depth to get a firmer grasp of what is going on. In the meantime thanking the posters for their help

Beans
    Distro

The sed command won't produce output if it worked without error. So when you ran it the first time and it didn't appear to do anything, it worked (for most commands, no output means it worked). Since that didn't fix anything you can go back and undo the changes (remove the # from the commented line "##alias net-pf-10 ipv6" and remove the whole line "alias net-pf-10 off"). You can do that by running
    Code:
    $ gksu gedit /etc/modprobe.d/aliases
    One thing you can that should guarantee a connection after a reboot is set a static IP address for the desktop (I didn't suggest this earlier because I thought it'd be an simpler thing. This doesn't really fix the problem but is a work around). I don't imagine you'll be moving your desktop to different networks often, so this shouldn't cause any troubles. To do this we first need to get some information. Right click on the network-manager applet and choose Connection Information. You can keep this window open or take note of the IP Address, Subnet Mask, and Default route.

To set the static IP goto System > Administration > Network. In the Connections tab select the Wired Connection and click "Properties". Make sure "Enable this connection" is checked and select "Static IP" from "Configuration". Then fill in the next three fields with the info from the Connection Infomation dialog from earlier.

Beans

Thanks Joe I appreciate your help but I'd rather not switch to a static IP address as a workaround because I can always get on the net when I have a problem connecting by typing dhclient.

In an earlier post you wanted to establish whether I was getting an IP address when I can't get on line. You asked me to select the Network Applet and click on 'Connection Information'. I took another route to establish if I was getting an IP using the network apps under System-->Administration.( This is when I posted I was getting the same IP that dhclient gets when on line and when I couldn't get on line in the field where the IP address was previously there was a long hexidecimal number instead.)I had to take this other route because the 'Connection Information' tab is faded out so I can't click on it.

Finally, I'll enable IPv6 again as per your advice.

I've got a book on Ubuntu and will work my way through it to become more familiar with the system before I make any more changes and do a bit of online reading.

Thanks very much for your time and effort.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12