Thread: Will most games be playable under Pangolin?

Beans

Will most games be playable under Pangolin?

I just don't want to be stuck with a laptop that I can't try out new games on. I'm perfectly happy running games on lower quality settings, but if I get SC2 and its choppy...I'm gunna kick myself for not just getting a video card with 512MB.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Will most games be playable under Pangolin?

I believe you should be fine, but I'll defer to the many Pangolin owners out there?

Guys?
    To err is human, to forgive is very ... dog-like.

Thomas Aaron
    FetchMasters, LLC

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by echo314 View Post
    I just don't want to be stuck with a laptop that I can't try out new games on. I'm perfectly happy running games on lower quality settings, but if I get SC2 and its choppy...I'm gunna kick myself for not just getting a video card with 512MB.
    There is no way to tell how well SC2 will be able to run this far in advance. We don't even know what kind of requirements it has on Windows, so estimating now how well it will work under Wine is a tad premature. There's always a chance that SC2 will be dramatically different internally from War3 and it will take some time to get the game running at all.
    Install Pipelight (run Netflix and other VOD services on Linux)

Beans

SC2 is really out there, huh... I think the overall message I'm getting is that the Pangolin will be able to handle just about any game thrown at it though.

Thanks to thomasaaron for linking the dupe thread to this one.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I've got a pangolin, and I think it should do fine for most games. Of course it does depend on if you're going to install Windows and play in there or use Wine, but from my perspective and experience I haven't had a problem. Only problems I have had is Wine compatibility (i.e. some of my games haven't worked under Wine yet)

panp4n
    Kubuntu 8.10 x64
    15.4" WSXGA+ Super Clear Glossy LCD (1680 x 1050)
    Intel Duo P8400 @ 2.26 Ghz
    4G Memory
    320G 5400 HDD

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

For my Pangolin I have played mostly older games, Diablo 2, Starcraft, and a few Command and Conquer games.

The only high graphics game I have played on it is Elder Scroll 4. I can play the game on Medium settings with the resolution set at 1024 x 768.

It can play at a little higher settings but the FPS's are horrible. I also have to tune down the settings for out doors, ie grass and trees.

Plus I had to tweek the .ini file for multi core threading.

I haven't tried playing it with a dual booted windows. Would I get better results?

Pangolin Performance panp4n

My thoughts are if your a gamer get a serval.

Beans

I don't know if I'm making this up, but my Pangolin has a 512MB graphics card, at least the NVidia control panel says so. If you are that worried about it, can't you upgrade?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Hey, Dave. I don't think that is all pure graphics memory. It is borrowing from your installed RAM.
    To err is human, to forgive is very ... dog-like.

Thomas Aaron
    FetchMasters, LLC

Beans
    Hidden!

Here's a short list of games I have playable using my Pangolin:

Deus Ex (need to disable a core to get it to work perfectly, which requires a reboot and a grub entry)
    Team Fortress 2
    Half Life 2 (Orig, Ep1, Ep2)
    Portal
    Counter Strike: Source
    Spore
    Eve Online
    Guild Wars
    World of Warcraft
    Starcraft

I'm sure Warcraft 3 would work fine with maybe a little tweaking (WoW and War3 use same engines), I doubt there would be too many problems with Starcraft 2 considering word I've heard is they are using War3 engine with additional functionality.

I have updated my video card drivers to 180, it came with 177 within last couple weeks. Don't know if yours would have the 180 set or not. Those drivers have made things much more responsive (I'm sure it's because of better OpenGL support since Compiz flies now).