Thread: Half Destroyed Window Top

Beans

Half Destroyed Window Top

I've had this problem from the moment I installed Intrepid Ibex 8.10, and I'm not sure if it's an universal problem, or just a problem with my computer, since I'm very new to Linux.

The problem is that if I leave a window open for a few minutes (~2), then the top of the window (which is usually orange) turns gray, and the name of the window disappears too. Also, sometimes the disappearance is not total, so part of the window's top will remain, corrupting some of the text.

I do not have any special visual effects enabled, just "normal" under effects. Does anyone know what this problem is, and how to fix it? Thanks.

A screenshot is attached with the terminal window having the affected top bar in current, and the affected text is in the encryption window in current2.
    I own the normal Nvidia graphics card, with nothing fancy at all.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: Half Destroyed Window Top

I have exactly the same error. I've just been ignoring it.

What kind of graphics card do you have? I have a Nvidia 6150.
    Peter VK

Beans

Half Destroyed Window Top

I am running an Nvidia GeForce 7050 graphics card.
    So far I have been ignoring the error too, but it would be nice if this error could be fixed.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I had the exact same problem too, back when I had a NVIDIA GeForce 7150, since I've upgraded to a NVIDIA GeForce 9800GTX, but the way you can fix this is you can use Emerald, which is a theme manager and can change the way your window borders look, so install this package:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install emerald
    Pick a border you like off of GnomeLook or something like that, and see if that doesn't work.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Hi. That problem is about this bug; to solve it, install the nvidia-180-modaliases package, then go to 'System->Administration->Hardware Drivers' and you'll see the nVidia driver, version 180. Install that, reboot, and the problem should be gone.
    NOT a morning person...