I recently installed Ubuntu lite on my old laptop (800MHz & 384 MB Ram) and was very much surprised to see how responsive the system is with LXDE and other gtk applications. It lets me do most of my work though occupying only around 700 MB on the disk.

For browsing the web I installed kazehakase webbrowser. Though it is supposed to be a light weight browser, it is not that light weight. Still has a ton of dependencies and crashes at times.

I tried midori, which is very much unstable.

I tried to install firefox3 from ubuntu repository. It has a dependency on a whole lot of gnome libraries and loads slow and chokes the system.

But the firefox from Mozilla (ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/releases/3.0b5/) is much more lean and works & loads fast on the system. But using the mozilla version of firefox means, i have to update it myself and have to figure out ways to set it as the default so that when I click a link from other applications, it opens up in firefox.

Does anyone know of a repo that provides light weight firefox .deb package? (without the dependencies on gnome libraries)