Page 80 of 147 FirstFirst ... 3070787980818290130 ... LastLast

Thread: Folding@Home Team Ubuntu recruiting notice

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Re: Folding@Home Team Ubuntu recruiting notice

Quote Originally Posted by m.musashi View Post
    ...I wonder where he sits among all folders across the world. ..
    Right now I sit at #352 for average ppd. It could have been higher but my windows SMP machine at work crapped out on me, and stopped folding for the weekend. I should be in the high 4000's or close to 5000 ppd.

Also, I ordered an E6600 processor when the prices went down so it should be here Wednesday. I am going to upgrade my AMD 1800+ box and dual boot it with ******* and Ubuntu. ******* just so I can still run SolidWorks.

I am hoping to get to the 6000 ppd if I can keep them all running and I don't get too many of those p2608/9 on my AMD boxes. That will put me into the top 200 for ppd.

Beans

Hey everybody
    I'm folding away but recently (like within the last 2 weeks I think) I've been having some problems. When I start up FAH it says that i has some work lying around that it can't send because it can't connect to the workserver. And then after that it start to fold just like usually. What is a little strange is that according to the log the WU that it can't send was finished on April 12 but according to my statspage, my last reported WU was on April 16.

Now I recently installed Feisty so at first I thought that it may be some new firewall settings or something like that but then I went back to edgy (quadruple boot configuration ) and I could see that the problem existed here also. Any help would be appreciated. I've attached a text file with the output.

Regards TLE
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

TLE, looks like the servers that FAH is trying to connect to for that WU are not working correctly.

171.65.103.68 is reported to be "rejecting" which means it is supposed to be working but it isn't.

171.65.103.100 says it is not serving WU's and "Not Accept" means that the server is at standby and they don't expect it to be accepting connections (and it isn't).

You should still be able to fold and return different WU's while the finished one is held in que. You might ultimately end up loosing that finished WU if the servers don't come back on line.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I have arrived in the top 25! Oh yeah.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by m.musashi View Post
    I have arrived in the top 25! Oh yeah.
    =D>=D> Nice work! Looks like from your completed WU's you have that ******* SMP running pretty well.

I have been hanging out at #5 for a while, suffering through a bunch of 2608/9's and EUE on my *******s SMP at work. I think I have her OC'd a bit too high with too little Vcore, so I bumped up the voltage a bit and all is going well, for now.

Team Ubuntu is rocking out some points! 300,000 more points this month than we had in February, and 150,000 more than last month. And no, they are not all mine. I did about the same as last month.

Great work!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I've been folding regularly now (after being a member of the folding team for a while), but my main problem is that my computer is in a room where the ambient temperature changes greatly depending on the time of day and whether or not the doors are closed. Since the computer room also serves as the dog room while we are not at home, I don't feel good about leaving the FAH processes running with the room doors closed... the temps get up to 50 degrees with the doors open and no telling how high when they aren't.

My desktop is an AMD X2 5200+, and I'm running the beta SMP client. What temps are others getting on their processor while running the client? I'm seriously thinking about making water cooling my summer project .

Beans

Poor dog!

When I run it on my AMD32 2.2GHz PC (Zahlman fan at full throttle), ambient temperature of 20 degrees Celsius the CPU temperature reaches 50 easily. Your CPU's overheating circuit will kick in when the CPU core reaches a temperature around 80 degrees. If you think your ambient temperature will be higher than 50 degrees C, then I think your PC might go into a reset (since it is reaching the 80 degrees limit). I don't know if your BIOS can be set to "shutdown" instead of "reset" in such a situation, because then you can test it safely while leaving home. Otherwise it will reset again and again until you come home; I wouldn't advice that!
    Visit my website ruudbeukema.nl for linux howto's... (and other things)

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ruudiculus View Post
    Poor dog!

When I run it on my AMD32 2.2GHz PC (Zahlman fan at full throttle), ambient temperature of 20 degrees Celsius the CPU temperature reaches 50 easily. Your CPU's overheating circuit will kick in when the CPU core reaches a temperature around 80 degrees. If you think your ambient temperature will be higher than 50 degrees C, then I think your PC might go into a reset (since it is reaching the 80 degrees limit). I don't know if your BIOS can be set to "shutdown" instead of "reset" in such a situation, because then you can test it safely while leaving home. Otherwise it will reset again and again until you come home; I wouldn't advice that!
    Sorry... I didn't mean the ambient temp reaches 50 degrees. One of my two cores reach 50 degrees (ambient temps never get more than 80 degrees Fahrenheit, and are usually 10 degrees Fahrenheit lower when I'm home). What's interesting is that there is sometimes as much as a 5 degree difference in the temps on both my cores.

I'm starting to think that this SMP beta client isn't worth running... my PPH is currently 15.737, but I was expecting to get something much higher on an Athlon X2 5200+. I haven't tried the regular client on this system yet, but I'll probably give it a try after this current work unit gets uploaded (which will hopefully be by Monday).

What is a normal PPH for an Athlon X2 5200+?

Beans
    Distro

I may not be using the correct reading, but what I'm trying to find out is the best client to run for my computer. The reason I'm not sure PPH is the correct reading for this is because it continually goes up over time (as if it is taking into account the average over much of the time I wasn't even folding).

The type of reading I'm looking for is more like a MPH reading in a car, where I know exactly how much output I'm doing at any given time (not an average over a day, week, or month). I'm using qd to get the average PPD. Is there any way to get just the PPD from qd or some other tool? Also, has anyone had any problems or luck with the beta SMP client over the single-core client?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by joshuapurcell View Post
    Sorry... I didn't mean the ambient temp reaches 50 degrees. One of my two cores reach 50 degrees (ambient temps never get more than 80 degrees Fahrenheit, and are usually 10 degrees Fahrenheit lower when I'm home). What's interesting is that there is sometimes as much as a 5 degree difference in the temps on both my cores.

I'm starting to think that this SMP beta client isn't worth running... my PPH is currently 15.737, but I was expecting to get something much higher on an Athlon X2 5200+. I haven't tried the regular client on this system yet, but I'll probably give it a try after this current work unit gets uploaded (which will hopefully be by Monday).

What is a normal PPH for an Athlon X2 5200+?
    50 degrees is O.K., from what I have read. The X2 5200+ is a dual core with 1Gb cache, right? You should be getting more than 16 pph. On my three AMD dual cores running between 2.2 to 2.4 Ghz, I get from 700 to 1100 ppd depending on which work unit I am running. The 2604's and 2605's are the best for me. The 2608/9's kill my ppd because they need more L2 cache, and my procs only have 512Mb.

A 2604/5 will take about 24 minutes per 1% and the 2608/9's take about 30 minutes per 1%. The 2604/5's are worth 1760 points and the 2608/9's are 1385 and 1532.

If your proc is single core, I don't think you want to run the SMP client. The SMP client was originally intended for quad core procs, but it does run O.K. on dual cores.

Page 80 of 147 FirstFirst ... 3070787980818290130 ... LastLast