Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wine was completely broken in Hardy and that's why the backports took long

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Wine is completely broken in Hardy and that's why the backports have been taking

I'm thinking more its the fact I upgraded to Hardy then, because the only other Windows game I'm trying to run is Dawn of War: Dark Crusade and nothing seems to have changed performance-wise between Gutsy and Hardy. It ran just as a fast on 0.9.59 as it did when I was running it on 0.9.49 under Gutsy. I'll keep an eye here on the Wine forums for word then that Hardy's problems concerning wine have been fixed, or the wine developers have come with good workarounds for Hardy that correct things, and re-install version 0.9.59 then.

Beans
    Distro

Exclamation Re: Wine is completely broken in Hardy and that's why the backports have been taking

Quote Originally Posted by Patriot1776 View Post
    Somebody said however that when they upgraded beyond 0.9.46, their FPS rates went in the toilet, and my FPS rates were in the toilet too when I tried installing The Orange Box in Linux and running using Wine 0.9.59.

My system hardware is a Pentium D at 3.4 GHz, 2 GB system memory, nVidia GeForce 7300 GT with 256 MB onboard video memory. FPS rates are awesome when running these games in a pure Windows environment, and in the crapper in Linux with the current versions of Wine. Such a wide discrepancy in performance is unacceptable in my view.

The same person said downgrading to 0.9.46 restored his FPS rates. That's why I'm wanting to downgrade to 0.9.46.
    JULY 2008 JULY 2008 JULY 2008 Okay I'm updating this thread, to show this is not an old topic.. It is still relevant..

Yep Wine 0.9.46 is the only version I can run Guild Wars with a reasonable frame rate, I'm soon to be releasing a video demonstrating the sluggishness, It's not associated with 8.04, but just the fact that I can't get 0.9.46 for 8.04, has me wanting to go back to 7.10.. This best get this fixed or you will have fewer people adopting 8.04 LTS.

All Wine's post 0.9.46 (which was a standard install with Gutsy) seem to do some sort of IO blocking, as if it was trying to load in a portion of the scene, and it blocks all operation until that is achieved, leading to indefinite stalls in UI feedback. 0.9.46 DOES NOT DO THIS.. Also the shadow rendering looks as if the developers of Wine tried to do soft shadows and failed, I've seen such shadows in poorly designed shots in blender using the shadow buffer lights.

I wish the Wine dudes would make a version of wine that permits people to switch between copies, or at least do some sort of static linking of the binaries and permit people to use whatever version of wine that is suitable. For example, Battlefield Vietnam will not work with 0.9.46, but it will work with later versions. If I have Wine installed for Guild Wars, I can't play BFV unless I deinstall 0.9.46 and install 0.9.60 or such.. And if I wan to go back to Guild Wars, I have to deinstall wine and reinstall 0.9.46.. It gets old..

But with Hardy, it is not even possible, unless one hacked it to work..

I'm amazed as to how this could pass by the wine developers.. It seems many people are having the same problem. Maybe that jump to 1.1.1 was a bit too quick..
    Last edited by rofthorax; July 26th, 2008 at 10:52 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Re: Wine is completely broken in Hardy and that's why the backports have been taking

Quote Originally Posted by cogadh View Post
    Performance issues with Source-based games likely has more to do with your Wine configuration or your game configuration than the fact that you are using a newer version of Wine. If you are getting poor performance, then I would expect that you are either not configuring Wine or the game correctly at all, or configuring them based on info in an out-of-date how to. Since 0.9.46, there have been so many fixes added to Wine that specifically address problems running Steam and Source-based games that using some of the configuration tweaks that were required back when 0.9.46 was out actually hurt performance now.

Then again, the problem could also be Hardy. With Gutsy, using 0.9.59 on a machine with a P4HT 3.0GHz, 2GB RAM and a GeForce 7600GS 256MB, I get HL2 performance that is equal to or better than Windows (up to 80+ FPS in Linux, 60+ FPS in Windows). My specs are certainly not exactly the same as yours, but they are comparable, the only major difference is the OS.

Try Guild Wars on wine 0.9.46 then try 0.9.59 or later.. I've found messages about this problem at the Guild Wars wiki. I tried all sorts of optimizations to the OS, only to find that it's a problem with Wine.. Bugs may have gotten fixed, but software doesn't always get better, it gets different sometimes, take for instance Vista..

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by David1000 View Post
    Thanks. Good to know it is not just me. Spent a day trying to get wine to run before looking at Ubuntu Forums.

How will we know when the fixes are completed?
    This is an old thread I just replied to some people with older messages.. Oops.. I am feeling your pain..

I want 0.9.46 for Hardy..

Beans
    Distro

There any thread I can read up on then about going back to Gutsy then anytime I want? I'm seriously considering it.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by rofthorax View Post
    Yep Wine 0.9.46 is the only version I can run Guild Wars with a reasonable frame rate, I'm soon to be releasing a video demonstrating the sluggishness, It's not associated with 8.04, but just the fact that I can't get 0.9.46 for 8.04, has me wanting to go back to 7.10.. This best get this fixed or you will have fewer people adopting 8.04 LTS.
    You can generally install old packages into newer Ubuntu versions and still have them run. Seriously, just plop the Gutsy deb into Hardy and try it.

I wish the Wine dudes would make a version of wine that permits people to switch between copies, or at least do some sort of static linking of the binaries and permit people to use whatever version of wine that is suitable. For example, Battlefield Vietnam will not work with 0.9.46, but it will work with later versions. If I have Wine installed for Guild Wars, I can't play BFV unless I deinstall 0.9.46 and install 0.9.60 or such.. And if I wan to go back to Guild Wars, I have to deinstall wine and reinstall 0.9.46.. It gets old..
    This idea has been floated before, and generally it's not worth the effort implementing such a feature and the complicated UI it would require compared with simply fixing the regression.

Beans

Re: Wine was completely broken in Hardy and that's why the backports took long

I want 0.9.46 for Hardy..
    as posted should be no problem, just did the other day to test something. If you've built a ver. on hardy or otherwise installed it's build-deps you'll get a dep error 'libldap2-dev', simply remove and install 0.9.46.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by mc4man View Post
    as posted should be no problem, just did the other day to test something. If you've built a ver. on hardy or otherwise installed it's build-deps you'll get a dep error 'libldap2-dev', simply remove and install 0.9.46.
    Uh what do I have to do get 0.9.46 running in Hardy? I just removed libldap2-dev and the package installer is still saying libldap2 isn't satisfiable. Can I just install libldap2 and use it straight then? (Is of course running Hardy, 8.04.1)

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by YokoZar View Post
    You can generally install old packages into newer Ubuntu versions and still have them run. Seriously, just plop the Gutsy deb into Hardy and try it.
    Didn't work for me, or am I trying the wrong one? I tried the generic WineHQ deb for 0.9.46 and I got the libldap2 error. What's the specific name of the deb I'm looking for? Online Ubuntu package search is being a douchebag and not wanting to work at the moment.

Beans

i'm sorry, forgot to add, there is no libldap2 in hardy, just a -dev. You need to install libldap2 from the gutsy repo. The easiest way is a direct download and install. The ubuntu .package site has been very hard to connect to lately, I'll edit in a link asap.

edit; packages.ubuntu.com can't be accessed atm, found the proper version here
    https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/gutsy/i...p2/2.1.30-13.4
    So to confirm - remove the hardy version of libldap2-dev and install the libldap2 package from above (you don't need the -dev to install 0.9.46)
    Last edited by mc4man; July 27th, 2008 at 02:48 AM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast