Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I give up!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: I give up!

Quote Originally Posted by mikodo View Post
    @ elfy This next #ubuntu-devel meeting with Jono Bacon, is promised to be interesting. Thanks, for the tip.
    From my logs I see you now know as much as we do

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by mikodo View Post
    Thank you everyone, for the responses and advice.

It is a thorny subject on the display issue. I spent a little time on #xubuntu-devel talking with some of the devs. So, upstream Xfce is not leaving Xorg. It appears to remain undecided, if Xubuntu will use XMIR (or presumably, stay with Xorg for now).

@ elfy This next #ubuntu-devel meeting with Jono Bacon, is promised to be interesting. Thanks, for the tip.

@ Euroman Xubuntu 12.04 LTS is for 3 years, as they deviated from the other flavors. (FYI) Maybe Xubuntu will stay with X11 with Xubuntu 13.10 & 14.04 LTS, which would give it at least another 3 more years of X11 after that, if not 5 more years this time. I read on Kubuntu Forums, that they are going with X11 on 13.10 and 14.04 LTS and then hope to use Wayland, after that.
    I forgot about the 3 years for some derivatives. But still I consider this a 'problem' for the long term.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Don't worry about the pudding until it's out of the oven.

And, you don't need to eat the pudding unless you want to.

Nothing needs to happen to the software on your machine unless you allow it.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

buzzingrobot
    Don't worry about the pudding until it's out of the oven.
    I would disagree with this philosophy, preferring to be informed and aware of what's available. Not to mention what would work for both my user requirements and systems should the need arise.

I believe all Linux users should investigate alternative distros and software periodically. A number of apps I use aren't installed OOTB and finding those that best meet my needs/demands required some effort. Plus, new Linux software is released regularly and without testing I may miss an opportunity.

Historically, the wait & see mentality has rarely (if ever) benefited me.
    "All change is not growth, as all movement is not forward."
    Ellen Glasgow

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Tamlynmac View Post
    I would disagree with this philosophy, preferring to be informed and aware of what's available...

Sure, stay informed, but knowing that Canonical is working on Mir or that other people are working on Wayland doesn't mean anyone needs to change the software they're using *now*.

I've used Linux for almost 20 years and long ago decided that changing what I do now because someone else plans to change a piece of that software, some time in the future, is not necessary.

Mir may turn out to be amazing, Or, awful. Probably somewhere in between, like most software. Ditto Wayland. X might be overhauled. A fourth contender might show up. Who knows? None of it has happened yet.

When Canonical releases Ubuntu with Mir, I'll boot a live image and take a look. I'll read credible unbiased evaluations (assuming I can find any). If I think it's the best choice for me, I'll install it. If not, I'll stay with what I have until something better comes along.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Try Debian. There is a slightly larger learning curve depending on your hardware, but I've always had great luck with it (even installing extra, non-free firmware required by my wireless card during the installation was a complete breeze). Debian is less crufty as well and far more stable. The main disadvantage I see is that you won't get as late package versions as you would with Ubuntu unless you run unstable.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by cortman View Post
    Try Debian. There is a slightly larger learning curve depending on your hardware, but I've always had great luck with it (even installing extra, non-free firmware required by my wireless card during the installation was a complete breeze). Debian is less crufty as well and far more stable. The main disadvantage I see is that you won't get as late package versions as you would with Ubuntu unless you run unstable.
    I have Wheezy installed with Xfce. I like it.

I am going to install others and then pick a select few to maintain and learn about. For me, Debian is a given.

Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Tamlynmac View Post
    I must agree with mJayk.

I've continued testing other XFCE distros, looking for stability and compatibility since first installing Xubuntu (won't discuss my opinions here, as I have no desire to debate them). The three listed below have all exhibited OOTB stability and functionality on all the systems I've tried - including the desktops. The only issue I ran into was with wifi in Vector Linux which was related to driver installation. But did get it working. Due to the varying levels of experience in the circle of users that rely on my assistance, I prefer Saline. But, I suggest one try numerous candidates before limiting their focus to any particular distro.

SalixOS
    SalineOS
    VectorLinux

One of, if not the best part of Linux IMHO is - choice.

Good Luck
    Thanks, for the tips. I'll be installing those to try out.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I would +42 that anyday... Debian +Xfce works gr8.....
    bhatta

May the Source be with you !
    Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulûk, agh
    'Buntu-ishi krimpatul !

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Debian is less crufty as well and far more stable. The main disadvantage I see is that you won't get as late package versions as you would with Ubuntu unless you run unstable.
    Debian 7.0 doens't have so much older packages. i would say it is on par with ubutnu 12.04. maybe a few are a bit older but mostly it's arround there. someitmes stability is more important that fancy new programmes.

also Chrunchbang (debian based) makes it very easy to install and offers a few newer packages via scripts after install is done.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast