Thread: migrating between leopard and ubuntu

Beans

migrating between leopard and ubuntu

I've been playing with leopard on my hackintosh, and ubuntu, dual boot

2 apps are giving me difficulty, I'm looking for solutions on keeping the data the same.

Pidgin for chat, I've got many years of logs I access all the time, cooking recipes mostly, is there any way to export/import to an apple IM client?

Tomboy for notes, much the same reason as pidgin, lots of family recipes, and notes I cant loose, I need to export/import between leopard and tomboy on ubuntu

suggestions? Other than these two apps I've been able to go back and forth without much difficulty

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: migrating between leopard and ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by mega View Post

2 apps are giving me difficulty, I'm looking for solutions on keeping the data the same.

Pidgin for chat, I've got many years of logs I access all the time, cooking recipes mostly, is there any way to export/import to an apple IM client?

Tomboy for notes, much the same reason as pidgin, lots of family recipes, and notes I cant loose, I need to export/import between leopard and tomboy on ubuntu

suggestions? Other than these two apps I've been able to go back and forth without much difficulty
    well your method of exporting from your current software is going to be reliant on the software's capabilities. Maybe you should start there, and determine what export options are even available (or if there is some other way you can access the data).

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cyberdork33 View Post
    well your method of exporting from your current software is going to be reliant on the software's capabilities. Maybe you should start there, and determine what export options are even available (or if there is some other way you can access the data).
    I started here assuming others go back and forth too

tomboy has an export to html, and pidgin seems to have nothing

the apple version of pidgin, called Adium, has turned into a completely different client

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mega View Post

I, too, am flipping back and forth between Leopard and Ubuntu on my Hackintosh, also Windows. I don't use IM so can't help there. For data I want to access from anywhere, I use Google Docs. Its always available from any computer with internet access.

Rick

Beans

for data all I really have is pictures, I leave docs in imap email folders

but i've got a few gig of pictures, I was planning on switching over to smugmug, I use fspot currently

it's those tomboy notes and im chat logs that are giving me grief, I wish they could have done the im logs the same between pidgin and adium

Beans

I found a solution for my tomboy notes

I'm going to move them all into imap, I just created a notes folder in my gmail inbox, I write a new email with blank TO, and the note subject, enigmail encrypt it, and walla shared notes via imap & thunderbird

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I think that the IM logs are just HTML files stored... somewhere...