Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: We're nearly there and i'm impressed!

Beans

Thumbs up We're nearly there and i'm impressed!

What can i say?

Unity has really come along of late: The ram footprint is much smaller than i experienced in 12.04, the interface is quick-quick-quick, and it seems to be very solid now.

I'm impressed!

I should add though that the software centre is still too heavy (greying out) for my netbook's atom processor (even with 2gig of ram to back it up) so i'm using apt and synaptic instead.

That said though, this is turning out to be a massive improvement on the last couple of releases, and i hope it is indicative of where the OS is headed.

Thank you, Devs!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: We're nearly there and i'm impressed!

Is it good for netbooks? cuz I had 12.10 on my netbook and it lagged alot, now I have 12.04 and it doesn't lag. I have a 6months old netbook

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by carolin3 View Post
    Is it good for netbooks? cuz I had 12.10 on my netbook and it lagged alot, now I have 12.04 and it doesn't lag. I have a 6months old netbook

The netbook i'm testing it on is a four year old MSI U100 'Wind'* netbook, and apart from the software centre issue it is breezing along very nicely.

*Intel N270 Atom processor, Intel gfx, upgraded to 2gig ram.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Besides a kernel header problem since mid March all is well . 12.10 was good release for my hardware and so is 13.04 . Compiz is running very well and though I only dabble with effects I have no fear of using them and have. Unity on 12.04 seems worlds away from the current version.
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

There will be more improvements to come over the next 12 months as the work done on the mobile side of the platform filters down to the desktop side of the platform. We are already seeing this with a reduction in RAM usage. System services are being looked at. Which ones need to be on all the time and which ones can be de-activated until needed? The developers are finding at a lot of services are running all the time but are not needed all the time. I think that some of the mobile applications will also be used to replace some present desktop applications.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Yep, 3 more days to go. Just reinstalled using the 4/22/13 daily to move back to 64 bit from 32 bit. Purrs like a kitten.
    HP 17 Notebook, 8GB DDR3, A10-APU ATI Radeon HD 8650G

Beans
    Distro

I've been using 13.04 since mid March and apart from needing to re-install twice due to Software Updater crashing during a couple of Kernel Updates it's been rock solid, and the last couple or so kernel updates have even installed like a dream.

Roland

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Thumbs up Re: We're nearly there and i'm impressed!

Quote Originally Posted by carolin3 View Post
    Is it good for netbooks?
    Yes, and older laptops as well. My ASUS eeePC900 with Celeron and my dual-core HP Pavilion are much zippier than with 12.04. (They both have 2GB RAM.)

If you don't fancy Unity, drop in Mate1.6.

Too bad we won't have 13.04 to enjoy all the way to the next LTS.
    /Guy

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

yes i like it very much now just need Non-Pae version.
    The Answer Please if at all Possible

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Greetings,
    This OS is more than I need. Playing with the kernels has been a good learning process and has helped me avoid some of the problems that have been reported with the repository version. Also, regarding the Atom Processor Netbooks, my experience is that many of them dynamically allocate video memory from the base memory. Hence subtract video from the base for usable RAM. Also, encrypting Home and Swap can slow things a bit. If your swap is encrypted you may want to check that it is running after boot. You could possibly be running without a swap file and not know it. Now all I need is support from TomTom and TaxAct and I'm done. Bye bye virtualbox. DO YOU HEAR ME OUT THERE SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS. Sorry for the short rant! I think I will stick with Raring for a bit and install the new Dev verison on my spare USB HD until I get a bit of confidence and then switch. I have been happy since Karmic which is where I got on this train but better is even better. Thank you Ubuntu! You've done a fine job!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast