Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Can't install FGLRX driver in Ubuntu 14.04.2

Beans

Re: Can't install FGLRX driver in Ubuntu 14.04.2

Well, this is annoying. Should've been fixed by now. I'm downloading 14.04.1 now, as I am not certain about how stable the workaround will be. Clicked 'Affects me' at Launchpad as well.

Beans

This bug is annoying indeed, I just reinstalled Ubuntu, and without the fglrx drivers my computer acts all wonky, I clicked 'This Affects Me' on the bug report linked, hope it gets fixed soon!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Thanks for clicking!

I'm somewhat disappointed that what amounts to a packaging error that affects an entire class of users is not getting fixed immediately.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 15.04 Vivid Vervet

Hi there.
    I don't know if the bug has been fixed yet, but I've just managed to install the fglrx-updates driver for my r9 270x.

The commands I ran are:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install libcheese*
    ^(I don't know if this one was actually needed - I tried it as suggested in the previous page)

Code:
    sudo apt-get install xorg-video-abi-15
    ^(this one worked for me and resolved all dependencies)

Code:
    sudo apt-get install fglrx-updates
    The additional driver utility is now displaying that AMD's proprietary driver is the one being used.

EDIT: I'm using a fresh install of 14.04.2.
    Last edited by J0nDaFr3aK; April 2nd, 2015 at 05:59 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Hi!

No, the actual bug has not been fixed yet.

The cheese thing is a viable work-around as discussed in the bug report I reference earlier, but it's not a fix.

If you haven't done so already, please go to the bug report and click "Affects me" to increase the heat index.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans

Same problem here... I'm not sure if I try the workaround, install 14.04.1 or wait for a fix.

Anyway can't hide how disappointed I am with Linux right now, bugs like this make the Windows > Linux transition a pain

Beans

Will this workaround conflict with future oficial patch?

Beans

This happens in a LTS-release, and is still not fixed. Laughable.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Hey, I'm attempting that work-around and I'm just attempting to be cautious here. I have unmet dependencies when I attempt to install libcheese

Code:
    sudo apt-get install libcheese*
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree       
    Reading state information... Done
    Note, selecting 'libcheese-dev' for regex 'libcheese*'
    Note, selecting 'libcheese7' for regex 'libcheese*'
    Note, selecting 'libcheese-doc' for regex 'libcheese*'
    Note, selecting 'libcheese-gtk-dev' for regex 'libcheese*'
    Note, selecting 'libcheese-gtk23' for regex 'libcheese*'
    libcheese-gtk23 is already the newest version.
    libcheese-gtk23 set to manually installed.
    libcheese7 is already the newest version.
    libcheese7 set to manually installed.
    You might want to run 'apt-get -f install' to correct these:
    The following packages have unmet dependencies:
     fglrx : Depends: fglrx-core but it is not installable
     libcheese-dev : Depends: gir1.2-cheese-3.0 (= 3.10.2-0ubuntu2) but it is not going to be installed
                     Depends: libglib2.0-dev (>= 2.28.0) but it is not going to be installed
                     Depends: libclutter-1.0-dev (>= 1.10.0) but it is not going to be installed
                     Depends: libgstreamer1.0-dev (>= 0.11.0) but it is not going to be installed
                     Depends: libgstreamer-plugins-base1.0-dev (>= 0.11.0) but it is not going to be installed
                     Depends: libclutter-gst-2.0-dev (>= 1.9.0) but it is not going to be installed
                     Depends: libgdk-pixbuf2.0-dev but it is not going to be installed
     libcheese-gtk-dev : Depends: libglib2.0-dev (>= 2.28.0) but it is not going to be installed
                         Depends: libgtk-3-dev (>= 3.4.4) but it is not going to be installed
                         Depends: libgstreamer1.0-dev (>= 0.11.0) but it is not going to be installed
                         Depends: libgstreamer-plugins-base1.0-dev (>= 0.11.0) but it is not going to be installed
                         Depends: libclutter-gtk-1.0-dev (>= 0.91.8) but it is not going to be installed
                         Depends: libcanberra-gtk3-dev (>= 0.26) but it is not going to be installed
    E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or specify a solution).
    How should I proceed?

Edit: Oops. I still had pieces of fglrx-updates still installed from a previous attempt. Removed those, and attempted the workaround and was successful. fglrx-updates now running for me on 14.04.2
    Last edited by DanielWEWO; April 22nd, 2015 at 04:28 AM. Reason: figured it out

Beans

All I did off the top of my head was these 2 commands and everything works perfectly.

Code:
    sudo apt-get install xorg-video-abi-15
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install fglrx-updates
    Proprietary installed and running flawless.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast