Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: USB Flash drives + xfce automount + fstab = bad

Beans

Re: USB Flash drives + xfce automount + fstab = bad

There's a tone to this thread that I don't understand. The OP was so sure that he was doing everything right that he didn't want to seriously consider that he wasn't. Then you were quick to report something didn't work when it did.

Now, you're apparently unhappy that it works, but not the way you want...all because you have to use UUID instead of device name.

For what it's worth (and it may not be worth much), the concept behind letting UUID be used instead of the device is that UUID is a permanent identification of the device. As you probably know, when you plug in a device, it might be assigned a different device name from one episode to the next. /dev/sdb1 becomes /dev/sdc1 the next time it's plugged in. But the UUID will always be the same.

I am happy that the automatic boot is working for you.

Beans

I'm aware of the purpose of UUID.
    Yes, I should have been more thorough before reporting that it didn't work.

It remains odd that on a system with /one/ device other than the boot partition being mounted at boot time UUID must be used in fstab.
    It's not behavior I have encountered before.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Hi

I have tried both the combinations and am still getting problems with not being privilaged?

I have a 1Tb usb drive named Lacie 1Tb which I think is the problem there is a space in there.

how do i get this to automount on boot up and also I'm getting CD mounting problems.

Beans

xfce automount + fstab

It seems the trick is not to use the UUID in the fstab device field, but whatever xfce-automount uses to identify the device.

For internal devices this will often be the UUID, for SDCards in my internal reader it was the device file itself.

i.e. using the UUID did not work, but

Code:
    /dev/mmcblk0p1 /mnt/sdcard ext4  exec,nosuid,nodev,relatime,auto,user,acl,user_xattr,uhelper=hal 0 0
    let's me mount the device both with "mount" from the commandline and with thunar.

cheers

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: xfce automount + fstab

Quote Originally Posted by btittelbach View Post
    It seems the trick is not to use the UUID in the fstab device field, but whatever xfce-automount uses to identify the device.
    Yes, I think so.
    By the way only /dev/sda1 entry works for me.
    Is there no way to make works LABEL entry or UIID entry?
    I think God is moving it’s tongue
    There’s no crowds in the streets, and no sun
    In My Own Summer

Deftones

Beans

As the OP has mentioned, he is able to mount the drive manually, whatever the fstab entry is.

This is a problem with permissions.

If thunar is saying you do not have permission to mount the device, but manually mounting it works (I'm guessing with sudo mount????), I'm guessing you are not a member of the volman group (I think that's what it's called).

Open up Users & Greoups from the System menu and check that you are part of that group.

AlecJ, it could be a similar problem for you with mounting CDs. Make sure you are in the correct group to allow mounting of CDs.

Cheers.

Beans
    Hidden!

It's not that easy.
    Manual mount works from normal user, and user's groups are all ok.
    Automatic mount works if fstab LABEL (or UIID) is deleted.It works only with /dev/sdaX.
    I guess this is an upstream bug...
    I think God is moving it’s tongue
    There’s no crowds in the streets, and no sun
    In My Own Summer

Deftones

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12