Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: [Compiz] Delay in window resize/restore

Beans
    Distro
    Edgy Eft Testing

Re: [Compiz] Delay in window resize/restore

Quote Originally Posted by Eld.Raven View Post
    Well, then u could jusxt have turned off compiz-effects and get ubuntu-tweek. The thing is that you dont want to do that =)
    I may be wrong, but I think that if I just turn off the Compiz effects, while using the official ATI proprietary driver, it's still that driver that is running! My point is that the opensource driver for this videocard makes the Gnome experience smoother and faster. One may lacks the nice Compiz effects (I do like some 3D desktop enhancements too!), but at least, the overall experience is greater without the proprietary driver.

Regards

Greg from Paris

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Hmm I use the offical driver from ATI, and if I deactivated compiz it will run as smooth at ever, I get problems without the offical driver. Like I cant use max resolution, I cant activate desktop effects and so on. But I guess that this could vary from computer to computer.

// Seb

Beans

same here. ati 3650, takes a whole 2 seconds to maximize a screen once its minimized. Overall compiz is pretty slow. Not very happy since its a new computer.

Beans

Beans
    Distro

Yeah I read about it too! =/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Damn,

I seem to have the same bug you guys have, but on an nVidia 8400 GS... I googled a bit, but I couldn't find if a similar fix is in the works for nVidia cards...

Good luck to everyone... It's a pity since desktop effects were working perfectly on Hardy Heron! Argh...
    Dell XPS m1330, GeForce 8400 GS 256Mb, Intel Duo T7500 2.20 Ghz, 4Gb RAM http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=3826 and Asus Z96J, ATI x1600 256Mb, Intel Duo T2600 2.16 GHz, 2Gb RAM http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=3157

Beans

https://edge.launchpad.net/~ubuntu-x...er-no-backfill

Fixed it for me (ATI), Intel have issues with this patch. It's not a proper fix, but it worked for me, for some it has broken their x-servers, so treat with caution, try googling the xserver-no-backfill to see if there is any other info...

Beans
    Distro

Exclamation Re: [Compiz] Delay in window resize/restore

Upps, I also added this to an ALT-TAB thread,It might be more appropriate here as I had several issues incl. resize, restore etc...

I had same experience, any actions when switching between windows (except mouse click) resulted in very slow performance, I believe functions such as ALT-TAB involve compiz. Anyway; I remembered that I a few days ago installed Skype and along with that some required qt4 libraries. Removing Skype didn't change anything, Removing qt4 libraries fixed my performance issues using ALT-TAB.

Kind Rgds.
    Margate

Versions
    Linux 2.6.28-11-generic #42-Ubuntu SMP Fri Apr 17 01:57:59 UTC 2009 i686 GNU/Linux
    VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation GeForce 9600M GT (rev a1)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Just a little bit on my recent experience with an ATI FGLRX driver...

I installed 9.04 on a Toshiba Satellite L300D-044 ( Athlon 64 X2, 4GB RAM, 250GB HD, ATI Radeon 3100 ). Initially everything worked with no special tweaking required. Wireless, webcam, microphone worked (THANK YOU UBUNTU!) and playing video clips was fine. Then I installed the ATI driver.
    videos became choppy, could not display them in full screen mode (either froze or no video was shown, audio still played)

One thing that surprised me was that even the webcam was affected. Skype test now appeared extremely zoomed in the left-mid section. Imagine only seeing half of your forehead if you shifted yourself to the left of your laptop. After troubleshooting for a bit, I removed the ATI driver and everything went back to normal. Webcam now works, video playback is fast and works in full screen mode.

Hope this helps someone if you're troubleshooting weird webcam issues on a similar Toshiba laptop or general poor display performance. Stay away from that ATI driver.

Beans
    Distro

Has anyone tried the new 9.5 ati driver yet? Does it make a difference?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast