Re: MS Word won't open files with spaces in their name

....bump?

i have the exact same problem as roystreet

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hi,
    ...I'm guessing there is no solution to this? I'm not incredibly smart in this area, but it seems there would be some type of fix? I'll do some more research - If anyone has some suggestions that would be great!
    Thanks,
    ...roystreet
    Running A 10.04 Ubuntu Server
    On A Good Ole Dell 2300
    & Ubuntu 10.10 on a Sony!
    And ubuntu desktop 11.04 on an HP laptop

Beans

Bump. I am having the same problem as roystreet too.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Hi all,

I can try to take a stab at this problem. Does this spaces problem happen when you are opening a file from inside Nautilus (the default Ubuntu file manager) AND when you use Word's built-in file browser (File->Open)?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Mazin View Post
    Hi all,

I can try to take a stab at this problem. Does this spaces problem happen when you are opening a file from inside Nautilus (the default Ubuntu file manager) AND when you use Word's built-in file browser (File->Open)?
    Hi Mazin. The spaces problem happens with right click, and "open with >" Microsoft Office Word. I am running Kubuntu 9.10, and the problem happens with all file managers I have tried (Nautilus and Dolphin and Konqueror). When I use Word's built-in file browser there is no problem, and I can open a file with spaces or without.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

The problem is that whatever is launching Word isn't properly wrapping the file name in quotes, so "My Document.docx" is treated as "My" "Document.docx", but working around the problem isn't too hard.

Try these instructions that were suggested on Wine's AppDB and reproduced below. http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManage...sion&iId=12811

1. Make a script with the following text
    Code:
    #!/bin/bash 
    wine "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\winword.exe" "`winepath -w "$@"`"
    and save it as "word_launch.sh". Put it somewhere safe, like your home directory.
    2. Make the script executable (right-click on the script, Properties, Permissions).
    3. Right-click on a Word document, choose Open With and choose Other Application...
    4. Hit the browse button and find the script you just made:

You will have to make a new script for each different program (Word, Excel, etc.) and repeat steps 3 and 4 for each different file type (.doc, .docx).

In the future, WineHQ's AppDB is always a helpful source of tips and fixes for running Windows programs.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

Thank-you Mazin for your help. This solution works well. I no longer have problems opening files with spaces in their names

Beans

I receive a wine error: the file .../winword.exe does not exist

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12