Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which (cheaper) printers work with ubuntu 12.4

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Which (cheaper) printers work with ubuntu 12.4

Given nobody replied to my thread about my AW10 Advent printer my guess is it is just not compatible and so it will need to be relegated to being a photocopier.

If I got a printer it needs to be linux compatible and work with Ubuntu 12.4 so it would probably be useful to more than me to know of any easy to set up printers that actually work. Cost is a factor here so to know of cheaper versions would be useful.

The emphasis is easy to set up.
    Last edited by Jackalyn; July 23rd, 2012 at 09:50 AM. Reason: Rats- How do I edit the Title so it has a ?
    Still deciding what to say.....

Beans

Re: Which (cheaper) printers work with ubuntu 12.4

I think most epson or HP will work. But do some research for the models just to be sure.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thanks - have sworn never to buy another epsom but HP is cheap enough and that would make sense. Now all I need to do is hope I get a salesperson who does not look at me blankly when I say 'Ubuntu' or linux...........Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

All printers I have had works with Ubuntu. It's no guarantee, but I think all HP-printers will work.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I have an HP Officejet 6500 E709n Wireless that installed automatically in precise, as well as a cheap Cannon Pixma MP495 that all it took was a downloaded driver fron Cannon to work. I think if you stick to known brands instead of rebranded, a quick search will find a thread on how to make it work.
    Colin
    Registered Linux User #318277
    The Ubuntu Counter Project - user number # 25648

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by bobsan View Post
    But do some research for the models just to be sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackalyn View Post
    Now all I need to do is hope I get a salesperson who does not look at me blankly when I say 'Ubuntu' or linux...
    You misunderstand. Doing research is reading the internets. Not asking a salesperson. Never ask a salesperson anything. You must already know everything you need to know when you enter the store. (You may ask a salesperson questions where you know the answers. For fun, of politeness, or to evaluate competence.)

My limited experience with printers in ubuntu:

* HP: Really easy install
    * Brother: Read the instructions on their website carefully, then relatively easy
    * Lexmark: Impossible

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalyn View Post
    If I got a printer it needs to be linux compatible and work with Ubuntu 12.4 so it would probably be useful to more than me to know of any easy to set up printers that actually work. Cost is a factor here so to know of cheaper versions would be useful.

The emphasis is easy to set up.
    I only buy printers if the box says "Linux". That's not only to be sure it works with Linux, but also to reward the printer company / product manager to explicitly support Linux (and not leaving a driver to the revers-engineering community).

My last buy was a cheap black-white laserprinter: Brother HL-2030. Just plug it in, and it works.

Oh, not my buy, but it works flawlessly: Samsung CLP-310 color laser printer.

BTW: I prefer laser over inkjet; laser printers always work, also after not using them for a longer time.

HTH

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

most hp printers would work with linux, i've used three different models and all of them worked.
    epson may work but my experience is horrible with them, so i would go with hp.
    Make money by writing !
    You only live once, do what you like most !

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by David Andersson View Post
    You misunderstand. Doing research is reading the internets. Not asking a salesperson. Never ask a salesperson anything. You must already know everything you need to know when you enter the store. (You may ask a salesperson questions where you know the answers. For fun, of politeness, or to evaluate competence.)

LOL! You are probably right but just sometimes on the law of averages one of them may have heard of linux. Or EVEN use it. The word is out and spreading.

My limited experience with printers in ubuntu:

* HP: Really easy install
    * Brother: Read the instructions on their website carefully, then relatively easy
    * Lexmark: Impossible
    OK so the ones not to use are Advent and Lexmark so far.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

samsung (at least some models) also work great. they come with linux drivers, but it's better to use a PPA instead as it fixes some issues with original drivers.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast