Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Global menu is loading in Gnome Shell

Beans
    Hidden!

Global menu is loading in Gnome Shell

I installed Oneiric, fresh install. Then installed Gnome Shell.

When I load it up, it appears that the Global menu from Unity is loading too. I see the File, Edit, etc all in the top, but garbled and mixed with the Gnome Shell menubar.

This only happens if I install the proprietary drivers for AMD (fglrx).

Additionally there is noticeable pixelation/garbled graphics throughout Gnome Shell after I install the drivers.

What is going on??

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Global menu is loading in Gnome Shell

upgraded from 11.04 here. I get garbled mess on my 1215b (AMD fusion CPU+GPU) too. Half of characters is missing like 'L g ut. .' for 'Logout...' and such. Totally unusable.
    Gnome classic fallback mode on the other hand seems quite ok, but it looks off when using the theme used by unity. Panel looks completely flat while panel indicators, clock and menus get that graphite gradient slightly 3d look from unity and stick out like a sore thumb. Does anyone know how to fix that?

Beans
    Hidden!

Thank you for replying, glad to know I'm not the only one experiencing this.

I wonder somehow if it has anything to do with this.
    http://www.sabayon.org/article/gnome...ed-next-driver
    https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=652029
    https://bugzilla.novell.com/show_bug.cgi?id=685691

This is basically what I get on my screen. Garbled mess on the top. All sorts of random colors, and the Unity Global Menu text overlayed on top of it. And if I click on it repeatedly enough, I can actually open the File/Edit menus for a split second.

I checked in the activity monitor. There's absolutely no Unity process running.

This is a disappointment. I absolutely need the proprietary drivers for my work since I'm a 3D modeler and I need full 3D hardware acceleration for Blender.
    Hope the devs know about it and are at least looking at it. I might have to use Gnome Fallback in the meantime I guess.
    Last edited by 8_Bit; October 14th, 2011 at 02:30 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by 8_Bit View Post
    I installed Oneiric, fresh install. Then installed Gnome Shell.

When I load it up, it appears that the Global menu from Unity is loading too. I see the File, Edit, etc all in the top, but garbled and mixed with the Gnome Shell menubar.

This only happens if I install the proprietary drivers for AMD (fglrx).

Additionally there is noticeable pixelation/garbled graphics throughout Gnome Shell after I install the drivers.

What is going on??
    Install Gnome Tweak Tool and disable "Have file manager handle the desktop". Happened to me yesterday to, and i noticed that this option was enabled. When i disabled it the statusbar was fine again.

Gnome Tweak Tool:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install gnome-tweak-tool
    Last edited by BazookaAce; October 14th, 2011 at 04:22 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

doesn't that prevent using desktop as a folder with files and stuff?

Beans
    Hidden!

Yeah it does. So it's just a temporary work-around, not really a fix. Thanks anyway though.

The global menu is gone now at least, but now I can't place icons on the desktop.

The garble is still all over the top menu and Activities too. Like Vaphell, the menu options are completely unreadable. Right now "Firefox Web Browser" reads as "F r fox W b Brow r" for example.

Seems like the garble is an upstream problem with AMD, hope they got on it and fix it!!

EDIT: Found another problem. Alt+F2 doesn't do anything in Ubuntu's version of Gnome Shell!
    All these problems might just make me move back to Fedora until these issues are fixed D:, I never had problems with its interpretation of Gnome Shell.
    Last edited by 8_Bit; October 14th, 2011 at 05:58 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 8_Bit View Post
    EDIT: Found another problem. Alt+F2 doesn't do anything in Ubuntu's version of Gnome Shell!
    That key binding may have gotten unset. Check System Settings -> Keyboard -> Shortcuts -> System.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by Vaphell View Post
    doesn't that prevent using desktop as a folder with files and stuff?
    Yes it does. Another option is to remove the appmenus.

EDIT: You can still have your desktop folder and files but it doesn't show up on your desktop.
    Last edited by suprman2020; October 14th, 2011 at 06:35 AM.

Beans

I have the same problem as 8_bit. It seems the problem lies with the AMD catalyst drivers. It seems a lot more ppl are having the same problem. Solution is to install either catalyst 11.9 or revert to the oper source drivers. There is a good discussion on it here http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1859626&page=3

Beans

Lightbulb Re: Global menu is loading in Gnome Shell

hi guys.

you have to remove global-menu so you don't see it in gnome-shell:
    sudo apt-get remove appmenu-gtk3 appmenu-gtk appmenu-qt
    restart,and you can now have file manger on desktop without unity global-menu

and for alt+f2 command prompt follow these steps:
    open "System Settings" and under Keyboard > Shortcuts > System, click "Disabled" next to "Show the run command prompt" and press ALT + F2 , this should set ALT + F2 for running the command prompt.

thx and sorry for bad english

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast