Thread: Trouble installing

Beans

Trouble installing

I just picked up an old "clamshell" style Mac iBook G3. I'm trying to install Ubuntu, but I keep running into the same issue.

I've tried using 7.10 alternate and 6.10 alternate, and they both report the same issue.

After a VERY brief period of trying to load the install CD, I get the following errors:

Code:
    RAMDISK: incomplete write (-28 != 32768) 8388608
    RAMDISK: ran out of compressed data
    invalid compressed format (err=1)
    Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(1,0)
    The discs md5sum just fine. Why is this happening, and how do I stop it so I can install correctly?

Thank you!

Beans

Re: Trouble installing

I dont know why your getting that error, but i would suggest downloading ubuntu 8.04 LTS (3years support) or ubuntu 8.10 (18month support) - newer and better than ubuntu 8.04 but you will need to upgrade - i leave the choice to you
    The version you are installing 7.10 and 6.10 falls out of support shortly, if they havent already
    www.ubuntu.com
    Why dont you try that, and see if that help
    PS check the CD for burn error before installing and maybe run a mem check on the computer

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

How much memory has your G3 got ? If it's less than 384Mb you'll have problems.
    Intel E5700 G41 8Gb Xubuntu 13.10, Ubuntu 13.4, WinXP.
    Revo R3610 Win7 Pro, Ubuntu 13.04

Absolute Beginners Compiz-fusion wiki Local Weather

Beans

I think it is less than 384 MB. Honestly, I'm new to Mac hardware (I don't even know if this thing has a BIOS, and if it does, I don't know how to access it). That being the case, I'm not sure how to check the amount of RAM without opening the thing up.

Beans

This thing has 32 MB RAM!! I can't believe it. Well, looks like I'll be giving it a serious upgrade!