Thread: Installing gentoo from a live cd

Beans

Installing gentoo from a live cd

well, I always wondered : is it possible to install gentoo from a linux live cd or directly from windows ? I just hate spending a couple of hours in front of a CLI ...

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Re: Installing gentoo from a live cd

You can do it from a liveCD All you to do is chroot into the partition where you are going to install Gentoo.

I multi-boot so I am usually in Arch/Kubuntu when I install Gentoo. The instructions are still the same based on the Gentoo Handbook:
    http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/index.xml

I used part 3 of this guide with an Ubuntu 8.10 livecd to install Gentoo. You do mostly use the regular handbook, with only a slight difference:

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/altinstall.xml

Beans

Thanks for the answers ! I've got one more question: is it worth installing gentoo from pentium4 (*assuming I have a pentium4 cpu*) stage3 tarball provided by funtoo.org ? maybe it could affect my computer performance, because it is not officially supported by gentoo dev team ?

Beans

+ one more question ! I have chosen the Systemrescuecd (although i don't know if it has X up and a wm/de [so please answer to this question as well ]) Ah yeah ! the question: how I will install gentoo from it like ordinary ? on gentoo docs pages there is only knoppix livecd installation example ...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by canistra View Post
    + one more question ! I have chosen the Systemrescuecd (although i don't know if it has X up and a wm/de [so please answer to this question as well ]) Ah yeah ! the question: how I will install gentoo from it like ordinary ? on gentoo docs pages there is only knoppix livecd installation example ...
    As stated before by Imog, it shouldn't matter which livecd you use to install from. As long as your livecd has the required tools (read: stuff that ANY linux distro requires to run), you'll be fine. Although I'm unfamiliar with the Knoppix instructions, I imagine that they'll work equally well, without alteration, for any other livecd as well.