Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: What are the main differences between Fedora and Ubuntu? [Please keep it civil!]

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: What are the main differences between Fedora and Ubuntu? [Please keep it civil!]

In Fedora10, yum seems much faster than previous versions (Well, Fedora 7 was the last time I tried it.) Now yum and apt-get seem almost equal in speed.

Plan on about 2 hours of customizing and adding codecs and common 3rd-party applicaitons (like Adobe Reader) that come working out of the box in Linux Mint. I don't know if there is a respun Fedora10 with all of that stuff already installed and configured. That would be helpful for wider desktop adoption.

And yes, the graphical boot is cool. But the graphical login manager switches to a different resolution, so there is still some mode-switching going on.
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: What are the main differences between Fedora and Ubuntu? [Please keep it civil!]

Quote Originally Posted by tgalati4 View Post
    And yes, the graphical boot is cool. But the graphical login manager switches to a different resolution, so there is still some mode-switching going on.
    of course there is mode switching. the important thing is that now, it's done by kernel

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by wrtpeeps View Post
    You will find everything in Ubuntu is actually super-simplified/dumbed-down compared to other linux distros.

Part of the reason it's so popular actually.
    Ever noticed that geeks with a passion will spend hours and hours trying to shave a few seconds off a program's run time?

Quote Originally Posted by cardinals_fan View Post
    I also dislike the output from the CLI interface. It's unnecessarily ugly and confusing.
    Some of us here grew up on machines which required you to use a CLI or set up a text-based GUI.
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by lisati View Post
    Some of us here grew up on machines which required you to use a CLI or set up a text-based GUI.
    That's no excuse for unpleasant output. Every other package manager I've used has cleaner CLI output. I'm a CLI addict, and I will not use a package manager with sloppy and hard-to-read output like apt-get/aptitude.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

yeah between the whole color scheme thing and the deb/rpm setup. fedoras been around longer and prolly will continue to be so i have a little more faith in fedora than ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I think, the main difference is that Fedora emphasizes freedom over features. E.g. the freetype library which handles fonts doesn't contain code that enables subpixel-rendering because it's patentet in the U.S. . Installing proprietary software like googleearth, fglrx or codecs is inconvenient compared to Ubuntu.
    But what I do like about Fedora are the security enhancements. Fedora is a good distro but regarding the desktop Ubuntu is better .
    iplist

"Specialization is for Insects", R. Heinlein

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

A difference I've noticed, and the really only reason that I'm not using Fedora instead of Ubuntu, is the File Browser SUCKS.
    Yes, it is Nautilus, but the way they have it setup is horrible.
    Not only is it a bare window with little to no options, when you open a folder, it opens a new window for that foler.
    Horrible

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by T2manner View Post
    A difference I've noticed, and the really only reason that I'm not using Fedora instead of Ubuntu, is the File Browser SUCKS.
    System > Preferences > Personal > File Management

Select the "Behavior" tab, and make sure you check the option "Always open in browser windows".
    Spiralinear: Humanity & Machines
    RUNNING: Fedora | FreeBSD | Windows 7

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by T2manner View Post
    Not only is it a bare window with little to no options, when you open a folder, it opens a new window for that foler.
    Horrible
    That bugged me for a while until I did exactly what Sorivenul suggests. Very strange default set-up if you ask me.
    HP dc7600 small form factor| Pentium D 3.4Ghz | 2.5Gb Ram | 250Gb HDD
    Uubuntu 12.04

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Unicast View Post
    That bugged me for a while until I did exactly what Sorivenul suggests. Very strange default set-up if you ask me.
    it's the gnome default, that is why it is used.
    Desktop: AMD Athlon64 X2 3600+, Nvidia 8600GT, 3GB RAM, 80GB hd, Windows 7 Beta
    Lappy: Sony Vaio FW-140E, Intel P8400 2.26Ghz, 3GB Ram, 250GB HD, Intel x4500MHD, Windows 7 Beta & Kubuntu 8.10 w/ KDE 4.2

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast