Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What are the main differences between Fedora and Ubuntu? [Please keep it civil!]

Beans

Re: What are the main differences between Fedora and Ubuntu? [Please keep it civil!]

Hrm haven't tried Fedora since the first release. It's probably much different now

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: What are the main differences between Fedora and Ubuntu? [Please keep it civil!]

Is it just me, or does anyone also hate rpm distro's? I really hate that package management system. apt (debian/ubuntu) is far more flexible. I heard other good things about PacMan too.

That is just my two cents.

But I do like Fedora's color scheme better. I'm definitely no poop-color fan!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kevdog View Post
    Is it just me, or does anyone also hate rpm distro's? I really hate that package management system. apt (debian/ubuntu) is far more flexible. I heard other good things about PacMan too.

That is just my two cents.

But I do like Fedora's color scheme better. I'm definitely no poop-color fan!
    RPM is an ancient package manager no longer in common use. YUM, urpmi, and zypper have swept its last dregs away.

I personally hate APT with a passion. Tazpkg and Pacman are both excellent.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Any reason for your loathing of the apt system -- other than its a royal pain in the butt to make debs?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kevdog View Post
    Any reason for your loathing of the apt system -- other than its a royal pain in the butt to make debs?
    I also dislike the output from the CLI interface. It's unnecessarily ugly and confusing.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Ubuntu have the shipit thing the Fedora doesn't, no free CD in the mail for Fedora.
    Registered Linux User #404403 - Ubuntu User #19426

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

fedora doesn't have a package like "ubuntu-restricted-extras", and a lot of non-free software are not in the repos. So if you want to install codecs, flash, ms fonts etc. you should find the repo containing them and install them one by one. At least that was the case when I tried fedora 9.
    But also fedora has the biggest community repo: http://rpmfusion.org/

Beans

In terms of actually using the system, package management is different. I have found this site http://polishlinux.org/choose/compar...distro2=Ubuntu that does give a comparative list of differences between the two - I don't really know how much truth is there, but an interesting read anyway.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by uncholowapo View Post
    Fedora is blue colored and Ubuntu is poop colored.....
    ...Not needed.
    Ubuntu User # 17031
    Quote Originally Posted by RAV TUX View Post
    who needs support when you use Linux.
    Quote Originally Posted by asjdfwejqrfjcvm msz34rq33 View Post
    Open-Source: The power to create completely useless, but extremely cool, programs.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by cb951303 View Post
    fedora doesn't have a package like "ubuntu-restricted-extras", and a lot of non-free software are not in the repos. So if you want to install codecs, flash, ms fonts etc. you should find the repo containing them and install them one by one. At least that was the case when I tried fedora 9.
    But also fedora has the biggest community repo: http://rpmfusion.org/
    Well usually a repo contain many non-free software you need, it is not like you need a different repo for every piece of software you want to install.
    Registered Linux User #404403 - Ubuntu User #19426

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast